Blind Citizens Australia (BCA) is the national peak consumer group for people who are blind or vision impaired in Australia. Our national office is based in Melbourne CBD. However, we also have offices in some other states.
Blind Citizens Australia Sydney Branch is seeking assistance for up to one day per fortnight, primarily to support the functioning of a Sydney-based social support group which provides much-needed peer support for people who are blind or vision impaired. The social support group, consisting of adults with vision and other disabilities, operates in North Strathfield, Burwood and, from time to time, the Greater Sydney and surrounding areas. It meets, usually on the second and fourth Thursday of each month and occasionally on other weekdays and weekends, to receive peer support through discussing matters of mutual interest and undertaking a range of social activities.
Students will assist by providing:
- a relaxed environment through researching and planning social activities (in consultation with group members);
- practical support to group members; and
- completion of other tasks where required.
Students will need a willingness to assist group members to research venues for social activities and a willingness to assist members to access refreshments and meals.
Students will work under the direction and guidance of group leaders and staff.
Students will be required to consent to a National Police Check through Blind Citizens Australia.
Students will also require:
- A positive attitude toward people with disabilities;
- Honesty and the ability to maintain confidentiality;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; and
- Proficiency in using email, the internet and associated mobile phone technology.
When and where
Croydon Park Club located at 55 Seymour Street, Croydon Park.
The program runs on the second and fourth Thursday of each month. Students will need to be available between 10am and 3pm on each second and fourth Thursday of the month.
Applications are currently closed
We will be taking applications from late February to the end of March 2020.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
In your application please include:
- A cover letter, addressed to Sondra Wibberley (Coordinator of the Blind Citizens Australia Sydney Branch), outlining how you address the position requirements and how you would add value to the work of Blind Citizens Australia during the course of the placement. This must be attached as a Word document using 12 size font and at least 1.2 line spacing throughout the document so that it will be received in an accessible format by Blind Citizens Australia.
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.