A21 believe in a world without slavery. For 10 years now, they've rolled up their sleeves and set their feet to action. Why? Because in a single moment a number can turn into a name, a tragedy into a victory, and a belief into an action.
Freedom. That's our goal for every human being on the planet. Our mission. Abolish slavery everywhere, forever.
Human trafficking is slavery. It’s the illegal trade of human beings. It’s the recruitment, control, and use of people for their bodies and for their labor. Through force, fraud, and coercion, people everywhere are being bought and sold against their will–right now in the 21st century. But phrases like ‘slavery’ and ‘human trafficking’ can still feel ambiguous. This is the reality: slavery is violence. It’s physical, verbal, and sexual abuse. It’s forced prostitution. It’s barbaric working conditions. Slavery is more stoppable than ever, and that’s why we’re here, rallying around the world and doing the work together.
Education and Advocacy
At A21 we are passionate about educating and empowering people to make a difference. Connecting the mission of A21 to the general public, volunteers within our education and advocacy initiatives carry this same heart and support our A21 team in outworking our various prevention, awareness and education programs. Volunteers within this area will assist in the:
- Development and improvement of our existing educational programs including our Primary School, High School and University Programs.
- Support of local abolitionists involved in education and awareness initiatives.
- Development and improvement of our existing events program including presentations, administration processes and reporting.
- Assist in coordinating events, including involvement with event hosts, key stakeholders and internal team.
Marketing and Communications
Media provides a unique opportunity to spread the message of freedom through various channels, such as radio, social media, print media and television. Our Marketing and Communications Volunteers assist A21 Australia in maximising our impact through such avenues. Particular focus is given to increase awareness around our mobilisation strategies and campaigns such as Walk For Freedom. Volunteers within this area will:
- Assist in the development of marketing strategies and tools.
- Work alongside team to improve involvement through online platforms.
- Assist in creating content to enhance supporter engagement with A21.
- Assist in coordinating design material for events, campaigns and programs.
- Prepare media releases for annual campaigns.
- Create content for regular newsletters and supporter updates.
- Research current human trafficking related trends within Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Contribute relevant findings to database for internal referral.
- Implement reporting procedure to keep team informed of key updates and trends.
Students must be able to commit to a minimum of 6 hours per week for a 3-month term.
- Students will be required to submit an online application.
- Provide a current Working With Children Check.
Provide a current Police Check.
- Students will need to be available for a formal interview and agree to reference checks as well as sign the ACU Student Reflective Assignment Guidelines.
When and where
Online and face to face.
Students must be able to commit to a minimum of 6 hours per week for a 3-month term. Will consider alternatives on application.
Before applying for this opportunity please ensure:
By applying to ACU Engagement for this opportunity, you acknowledge that your ACU email address and the information you provide in your application will be shared with the organisation that offers this opportunity. The organisation will keep your personal information confidential.