Mater Hospital Sydney Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nursing Scholarship
The Mater Hospital Sydney has been providing compassionate health care since it was founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1906. This Scholarship was established in 2016 to create opportunities for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students studying at the North Sydney campus to pursue studies in Nursing.
One scholarship is available each year, valued at $21,000 in total. The scholarship will be paid as one $7,000 instalment per annum for a maximum of three years.
In addition, the Scholarship recipient may be considered to be placed in the Mater Hospital Graduate Nursing Program after the completion of their third year if they meet the program criteria and are willing to work at the Mater Hospital.
This scholarship is open to applicants who meet all of the following criteria:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Studying at the North Sydney campus
- Full-time students
- Enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing and/or Bachelor of Nursing/Business dual degree
- In the first, second, or third year of their course.
The following document must be submitted with the application:
- A written statement of approximately 300 words outlining:
- commitment to the Nursing profession and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander healthcare overall
- how the Scholarship could financially support you whilst studying
- Evidence of financial need
Applications are assessed on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Financial need
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office and recipients selected by a selection committee comprising of one representative each from the School of Nursing, First Peoples and Equity Pathways and the Mater Hospital Sydney.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview.
Recipients are required to submit a letter of appreciation explaining how the Scholarship has assisted them. The letter should be submitted to the Scholarships Office no later than 1 October of each year.
The recipient of the Scholarship must complete a clinical placement at the Mater Hospital Sydney during the second or third year of their course.