Mary Curran Scholarship
Established in 2014 by local North Sydney resident Mary Curran this Scholarship supports ACU nursing students in their second or third year of study who undertake a placement at a local hospital. Mary was attended by graduate ACU nurses in 2013 while in a coma for months after having a serious heart infection. Mary has a passion for animals, in particular her cat Cicero.
One scholarship valued at $2,500 is available each year, paid in one lump sum.
This scholarship is open to applicants who meet all of the following criteria:
- Australian citizens or permanent residents
- Studying at the North Sydney campus
- Enrolled in the Bachelor of Nursing
- Full-time students
- In second or third year of their course
- Current GPA of 5.0 on the ACU seven point scale or above
- Enrolled in, or have completed, a practical experience unit during second or third year of the course.
The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- A written statement of approximately 300 words outlining:
- how the Scholarship funds could support your studies
- future career goals and aspirations
- a deep interest in animals
- Evidence of placement allocation/location
- Written reference (professional)
- Academic transcript
Applications are assessed based on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Evidence of placement
- Written reference
- Academic merit
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office and recipients selected by the donor.
Recipients are requested to submit a letter of appreciation for the donor explaining how the Scholarship has assisted them. The letter should be submitted to the Scholarships Office no later than 1 October of each year.
Preference will be given to students who have completed placement at Royal North Shore Hospital or North Shore Private Hospital.