Fernanda de Carvalho Memorial Jarjum Scholarship
Established in 2015 to contribute to the development of Indigenous primary school teachers formed in the Catholic tradition, in memory of Ms Fernanda de Carvalho.
One scholarship valued at $5,000 is available each year, paid in two instalments before placement and after the completion of all course requirements.
This scholarship is open to applicants who meet all of the following criteria:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
- Enrolled in the Bachelor of Education
- In the final year of their course
- Willing to undertake a practicum placement at Redfern Jarjum College
The following documents must be submitted with the application:
- A written statement of approximately 200 words outlining:
- how your program of study would potentially benefit Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people;
- what you hope to gain from your practicum placement at Redfern Jarjum College
- Academic transcript (current)
Applications are assessed based on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- Academic merit
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office in consultation with the First Peoples and Equity Pathways Directorate, and recipients selected by the donor.
The selection will be made by a committee comprising of a representative of the de Carvalho family, the Head of School of Education, and a representative from Redfern Jarjum College.
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview with the committee.
Recipients will be required to write and present a report of their practicum experience at Redfern Jarjum College to the third year education students at ACU.
Recipients are requested to submit a letter of appreciation for the donor explaining how the Scholarship has assisted them. The letter should be submitted to the Scholarships Office no later than 1 October of each year.
Apply online now
Applications close on 5 March 2017