About this scholarship
Established in 2007 by the George Alexander Foundation (GAF), founded by the late industrialist and philanthropist George Alexander AM, for the purpose of assisting outstanding rural students especially those demonstrating exceptional leadership potential and community participation, to achieve their undergraduate educational goals at the Ballarat Campus successfully.
- Open: Friday, 21 July 2017
- Close: Sunday, 3 December 2017
Five scholarships valued at $15,000 are available each year, paid as one instalment per semester for the duration of the course.
- $2,500 per semester is available for a three year program
- $1,875 per semester is available for a four year program
The scholarship is valued at $15,000, to be paid in in instalments of $2,500 per semester for the duration of a three year program and $1,875 per semester for the duration of a four year program.
There are five scholarships available.
- Citizenship: domestic students
- Faculty: any
- Course: any ACU undergraduate degree
- Campus: Ballarat
- Year level: first year
- Minimum GPA: attained a minimum ATAR ranking of 75 or equivalent
- From rural or regional Victoria
Apply online by clicking the button below and completing the application form. You must attach the following documentation with your application:
- A written statement of approximately 750-1,000 words outlining:
- Why have you chosen to undertake your degree?
- What do you hope to achieve with it in the future?
- Tell us about the hardship or barriers you have faced in accessing higher education, and how your degree will change your future.
- Tell us about any leadership roles you have undertaken, and what you have learned from these experiences.
- Describe your extra curricular activities (including employment, work experience, volunteering, sporting and other community activities undertaken), why you do them and what you gain from them.
- A 3-4 year plan
- Evidence of academic merit (ATAR ranking or equivalent)
- Evidence of geographic barriers impacting on you and your studies
- Evidence of your leadership and community participation
- For Year 12 school leaver applicants - one written academic reference and one written community engagement reference
- For non-school leaver applicants - one written professional reference and one written community engagement reference.
Applications are assessed based on the strength of the following criteria:
- Written statement
- A 3-4year plan
- Academic merit
- Geographic barriers
- Leadership and community participation
- Written references
Applicants will be shortlisted by the Scholarships Office and recipients selected by the donor.
Recipients are required to maintain all of the following:
- a minimum grade point average of at least 5.0 (credit) in each semester
- a full-time study load at the Ballarat Campus
- provide an annual report on progress and learning for the George Alexander Foundation submitted no later than 1 October of each year. The George Alexander Foundation Scholarship annual report must include specific details as requested by the donor.
Recipients are requested to submit a letter of appreciation for the donor explaining how the Scholarship has assisted them. The letter should be submitted to the Scholarships Office no later than 1 October of each year.
Written references must be from two different sources (ie both references cannot come from your school or same organisation).
Written references must also include the title and/or position and contact details of the person providing the reference.
Apply online now
Applications close on 3 December 2017
Page last updated: 2017-11-08
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/338282