Deferring or withdrawing

We understand there are times you might want to defer starting your course, take a break from your studies or withdraw altogether.

Deferring your course – new undergraduate students
Taking a break as an existing student
Withdrawing from your course

Deferring your course – new undergraduate students

Applying for deferment

If you're a new undergraduate student and you haven't enrolled in any units, you can defer beginning your course for a maximum of 12 months. You should elect to defer your undergraduate place at the time of responding to your offer. Deferment is not available to honours and postgraduate students.

To defer your offer please submit the DEF: Application to Defer (Online) form before the end of week 2 of semester. Read Rule 4.15 'Deferment of Undergraduate Offer' in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy for further information.

International student deferments

If you are an international student, you must apply to defer via the International Admissions Office and provide your:

  • full name
  • date of birth
  • reference number on your offer letter
  • reason for deferring
  • the new date you would like to commence your studies.

In some circumstances (such as for highly competitive courses) deferral may not be possible. Our International Admissions team will advise you if this applies to you and what options you may have to undertake study in the future.

Starting your course after deferring

Complete the Commencement of Studies Following Deferment (CD) form when you are ready to begin your studies. Your offer will expire if you don't begin your studies within one year of deferring.

The CD form must be lodged by:

  • 30 November if you want to begin study in Semester 1 next year
  • 31 May if you want to begin study in Semester 2 of this year.

Note: Some courses do not offer a Semester 2 intake. Information about course availability for Semester 2 is published in early April. If you want to start studying in Semester 2, you should check for course availability before submitting this form.

^ Back to top

Taking a break as an existing student

If you have received final results for at least one semester in your course, you may take a break (interrupt) your studies by submitting an Application for Interruption of Study.

Visit Academic Regulation 5.7 for further information.

^ Back to top

Withdrawing from your course

If you no longer wish to study your course you can choose to withdraw from ACU. This removes all your current and future enrolment at ACU.

For more information visit:

^ Back to top