The three week study abroad program (2-20 July), taught by ACU academic staff, allows you to complete UNCC300 Understanding Self and Society: Contemporary Perspectives in a highly interactive, intensive study mode. It also gives you a unique chance to explore contemporary China first-hand as part of your ACU degree.
You could receive up to $5500 in funding for the Beijing Core - 12 eligible students will receive New Colombo Plan grants from the Australian Government each valued at $3,000 to provide financial support for costs incurred during the Beijing program. In addition to this, every ACU student who joins the Core in Beijing is eligible for an ACU Vice Chancellor’s Travel Grant, valued at up to $2500 to cover the cost of airfares and other personal expenses. If you receive both the New Colombo Plan grant and the ACU Vice Chancellor’s Travel Grant, this would cover the Core Beijing Program Fee of $3500 and the cost of your international airfares
The Core Beijing Program will be taught by ACU academic staff. Before travelling to Beijing you will complete one week of online study through LEO. The rest of the program will be delivered in China. Assessments, quizzes, papers and exams will be submitted to, and graded by, ACU academics. During the Beijing component of the program, you will attend classes at The Beijing Center campus and take part in some amazing site visits in and around the city and enjoy side trips to bustling Shanghai and historic Xi’an. You will complete some assessments in class and others through LEO. The final program itinerary will be provided to you once you are admitted to the program.
Program highlights and inclusions
- Accommodation in Beijing, Shanghai and Xi’an
- Airport transfers and all trains and ground transport within China (from Beijing to Xi’an and Shanghai)
- ACU classes (UNCC300) throughout the program
Proposed itinerary, to be confirmed early 2017:
Day 1- 6 in Beijing:
- Program Orientation, Chinese Food Culture class
- Campus and Neighbourhood Tour with Chinese students
- Welcome Dinner
- Chinese Language Classes
- Class on Chinese Spiritual Life
- Taichi class
- Visit to Tian’anmen Square & Forbidden City and Houhai
- Visit to the Temple of Heaven and Hongqiao Market
Day 7 – 9 in Xi’an:
- City Wall and Bicycle tour on the Wall & Muslim Street
- Evening Fountain Show
- Visit to Yuan Family Village (Chinese Traditional Culture Experience)
- Visit to Shannxi Museum and Terra Cotta Warrior Museum
Day 10 – 13 in Shanghai:
- Guided walking-tour of Shanghai’s Old French Quarter
- Shanghai Huangpu River Cruise and visit to the Bund
- Tour of Yu-Garden, Shanghai Old Town and Xintiandi
- Tour of Shanghai Center & Lujiazui Shanghai Financial District
Day 14 – 18 in Beijing:
- Class on China in the World Economy
- Tour of Mutianyu Great Wall & Group Dinner
- Class on Chinese Government and Politics
- Closing Dinner
How much will it cost?
In 2017, the program fee will be approximately AUD$3,500.00*, however generous scholarships and grants are available to cover some or all of the cost. The program fees cover the following:
- shared accommodation
- airport transfer
- scheduled group excursion/site visits
- welcome dinner
* Exact program fee will be confirmed January 2017
The program fee does not include the return airfare to China, ACU, HECS/ tuition for UNCC300, or any additional personal travel.
All eligible students may apply for an ACU Vice Chancellor’s Travel Grant worth up to $2,500 to assist in the costs of undertaking study overseas.
12 New Colombo Plan grants, each valued at $3,000, will be awarded to qualified students to provide financial support for costs incurred during the Beijing program. Up to 120 students who meet international core entry requirements in 2017 are also eligible for a Provost International Core Curriculum Scholarship valued at $1000 to help cover the cost of program participation. Grants are awarded on the basis of merit and are subject to availability. Students who are successful in receiving the New Colombo Plan grant, will not be eligible to receive an additional Provost International Core Curriculum Scholarship.
Students may also elect to apply for an OS-HELP loan, which provides financial assistance for eligible Commonwealth supported students to undertake part of their course of study overseas.
What are the program dates?
Dates in China: 2 July – 20 July 2017
- LEO program opens approximately one month prior to the overseas program dates. Complete Modules 1-3 before you depart for China.
- Arrive in Beijing on Sunday, 2July before 4pm
- Classes: 3 – 19 July
- Check out of your housing on Thursday, 20 July
- Final assessment due: August 2017 (exact date to be advised closer to the program’s commencement)
Where will I stay?
All students stay in shared accommodation arranged by The Beijing Center. The accommodation is located adjacent to The Beijing Center campus in the Chaoyang District, which is a residential area of Beijing. Shared accommodation is included in the price of the program.
To be eligible to participate in the International Core Curriculum program you must have:
- One year of study completed at ACU (usually 80cp)
- A cumulative GPA of 4.5 or above
- Successful completion of UNCC100 Our World: Community and Vulnerability
- UNCC300 not yet completed
Applications close on 10 March 2017. Apply Now (PDF 150kb)