2017 Rhodes Scholarships
Published: Wednesday 27th April 2016
Applications for 2017 Rhodes Scholarships are now open. Approximately 89 Rhodes Scholars are selected annually from 32 countries around the world. They are young women and men from diverse backgrounds and interests who show potential to be public-spirited leaders for the world’s future.
1. Application to the Scholarship:
Applications for Rhodes Scholarships open during the summer of the preceding year.
All candidates for the Scholarship should read the information about the Scholarships applicable globally, and then proceed to their country-specific page.
In broad terms, all constituencies will require the following materials in differing forms:
- Evidence of academic record/transcript (complete or in progress) of undergraduate degree and any postgraduate study
- Curriculum vitae/resumé or list of principal activities
- Personal statement or essay (including, crucially, a clear statement of what the applicant wishes to study at Oxford and why)
Evidence of age/birth certificate/passport
- English Language proficiency (where English is not the first language)
- Photograph (not visible to selectors until after short-listing)
- List of referees (several are required) who can attest in confidential references to the character and intellect of the applicant, including academic, personal, extra-curricular and leadership achievements.
2. Choice of course in the University of Oxford:
Subject to limited restrictions, Rhodes Scholars may read for any full-time postgraduate degree (including the BA with senior status over two years) at the University of Oxford. The basic tenure of the Scholarship is two years, subject always, and at all times, to satisfactory academic performance and personal conduct. For the full listing of degrees offered by the University of Oxford, visit www.ox.ac.uk.
At the discretion of the Trustees, the Scholarship may be extended for a third year for those who take a recognised route to the DPhil.