ACU is turning 25
Published: Wednesday 5th November 2014
To mark this significant milestone in the University’s life, a program of anniversary events and activities is being planned for 2015. Staff, students, alumni, founding congregations and the community are invited to participate in the celebrations. A 25th ACU Anniversary website for forthcoming anniversary events on each campus is being developed and this will provide information on events, dates and venues.
The University has come a long way from its inception in 1990 following the amalgamation of four Catholic predecessor colleges: the Catholic College of Education Sydney in New South Wales, the Institute of Catholic Education in Victoria, McAuley College in Queensland, and Signadou College of Education in the Australian Capital Territory.
The institutions that merged to form the University had their origins in the mid-19th century, when religious orders and institutes became involved in preparing teachers for Catholic schools and, later, nurses for Catholic hospitals. Through a series of amalgamations, relocations, transfers of responsibilities and diocesan initiatives, more than 20 historical entities have contributed to the creation of ACU.
Some key initiatives for the anniversary year are:
- Launch of a Pictorial coffee table book on the history of ACU written by the eminent historian, Dr John Hirst. Copies will be available for purchase.
- Launch of the ACU History Showcase – both a digital and physical display of ACU historical items. If you have any items stored away (photos, reports, correspondence, physical memorabilia, etc.), please contact Fides Lawton, Director Libraries, as they may have significant value for the Showcase.
- Academic Seminar Series by each of the four faculties on the general theme: The change we have seen in the last 25 years … Where to for the next 25 years?
- Theatrical performances on each campus of ‘Hildegard of Bingen and the Living Light’ by US ex-operatic singer, Linn Maxwell, from the end of April to mid-May 2015
- Pilgrimages to various sacred sites being organised by Fr Anthony
- Performances by the ACU Student Choir
- Performances by the Notre Dame Choir
- International student conference on the theme “Words Into Actions”, 23-24 July 2015, Strathfield and North Sydney
- ‘Grounding the Sacred’ Conference, 23-26 July 2015, Strathfield
- Formal anniversary mass and dinner, 29 July 2015, St Mary’s Cathedral Sydney with dinner at Dockside, Cockle Bay
- Individual campus events including masses, lunches, dinners
- ACUNSA and alumni events are also being planned.
ACU can be very proud of its achievements over the last 25 years and we look forward to celebrating the journey travelled thus far. We also look forward to continuing the story of ACU’s commitment to the pursuit of knowledge, the dignity of the human person and the common good.
Professor Anne Cummins
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students, Learning & Teaching)