Published: Tuesday 31st January 2017
Academic Board approved a number of amendments to the Academic Regulations which took effect from 1 January 2017.
A number of minor changes have been made to the Academic Regulations for 2017, including reordering to improve clarity.
The following substantive amendments to the Academic Regulations have also been made:
- The restriction on concurrent enrolment in more than one program at 126.96.36.199 has been amended to remove this constraint for approved programs where concurrent enrolment is intended and specified in the course rules.
- Clause 5.2.4 has been amended to allow students who are required to repeat a unit by the school who do not see their knowledge as current, to do this in a Commonwealth supported place rather than a fee paying basis.
- An additional reason for withdrawing a student from a professional experience or community engagement placement been added at 188.8.131.52(d) for unsafe behaviour or failing to follow directions.
- Under 184.108.40.206, postgraduate students who hold a relevant Bachelor’s degree at AQF Level 7 can now request credit which removes the necessity to undertake the 40 CPs of foundational study (500-level units). This allows them to meet the requirements of the Masters degree with 1.5 years or 120 CPs of study.
- An annulled (AN) grade is no longer in use and has therefore been deleted in clause 9.1. Discipline Committees and other disciplinary processes impose a Fail (NN) grade.
- Placing a student ‘at risk’ who has failed 50% or more of the credit points for which they have enrolled would have inadvertently applied to students who fail in one unit in a non-standard study period. Clause 10.1(a) has therefore been amended to apply to students who are enrolled in more than one unit in any study period.
- Requiring a student to ‘Show Cause’ who has failed 100% of the credit points for which they have enrolled under clause 10.2 would also have inadvertently applied to students who fail in one-unit in a non-standard study period and has therefore also been amended to apply to students who are enrolled in more than one unit in any study period.
- Clause 10.2 has also been amended to change the requirement to show cause for students who have failed 50% or more of the credit points taken over the last two ‘study periods’ rather than ‘standard study periods’.
- Where continuation in a program following show cause is subject to ‘specified conditions’ at 10.2.3(b) then their breach now triggers termination where a student fails any unit where the specified conditions imposed have not been met at 10.3.1(e)(ii). Limits to the ‘specified conditions’ that can be imposed have also been made.
- The discretion to make a termination decision at 10.3.1 has been moved from a Course Coordinator to the Head of School following concerns that there was scope for students to be treated very differently and at the total discretion of the course coordinator with no overriding policy as so how to make this determination.
- Kerry Blair, Policy and Projects Officer (Monday-Wednesday)
Phone 02 9465 9096
- Catherine McKiver Policy and Projects Officer (Wednesday-Friday)
Phone 02 9465 9097
- Gerard Goodwin Moore, National Manager, Student Policy & Appeals
Phone 02 9739 2250
Page last updated: 2017-06-29
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1142360