Tip of the Week
Published: Wednesday 4th June 2014
ACU is supporting Men’s Health Week by offering a webinar on men’s mental wellbeing. The webinar will provide valuable information for men and will also assist women in understanding how to provide effective support for their partners, friends and family members.
One in five Australian men (2.1 million) will experience a mental health issue in any 12 month period (ABS, 2007). However, men often face the added challenge of stigma associated with seeking support for their wellbeing.
The webinar will be presented by a facilitator from AccessEAP, ACU’s Employee Assistance Provider, and will cover the following topics:
- Stress awareness;
- Mental health and men;
- The ‘macho’ factor;
- Signs and symptoms; and
- Tips to look after yourself.
Date: Friday June 13, 2014
Please register via Staff Connect no later than one week prior to the webinar.
Course Type Code: MEHEWE
Course Type Description: Men’s Health Week Webinar
The theme for Men’s Health Week 2014 is Celebrating AchieveMENts with the focus being on celebrating the positive contributions that men and boys make to our lives as sons, friends, fathers, husbands and grandfathers.
Men’s Health Week also supports and encourages men to make the right choices that will improve their lifestyle, wellbeing and all areas of their physical, mental and emotional health.
For more information about men’s health visit the websites below:
- Men’s Health Australia Provides links to a number of sites including information in relation to physical and mental health issues.
- RealTime Health A health resource library for ACU staff which contains information about diabetes, cancer, heart disease, depression and other ailments.
- Man Therapy A health resource by Beyond Blue that provides information and resources regarding depression and anxiety.
- AccessEAP Provides counselling sessions (in person or over the phone) to staff members and their immediate family who are facing personal and work-related issues