The Five Minute Research Pitch
Published: Monday 4th August 2014
The Five Minute Research Pitch is an opportunity for researchers to showcase their research to a national audience and be in the chance to win a total of $7,000 toward their research. It is similar to the Three Minute Thesis competition run nationally for PhD students.
There will be one heat held via videoconference on the 17th of October at 10am to 12.30 pm and then (depending on numbers of participants) from 2.00pm to 5.00pm if necessary.
- Open to all ACU active proven researchers (at level A, B and C) who are employed by ACU.
- The research presented must be current; either currently being completed or published from 1st January 2013
- Staff members who are completing a PhD are eligible and may present work conducted as a PhD student within the same timeframe above.
- Non-staff research students are not eligible.
- Presentations are limited to five minutes. Presenters who go over may have points deducted from their overall score
- Three PowerPoint slides are permitted. These may include photos, diagrams or other graphic material to extrapolate the research. Non-static media (videos, sound-clips) are permitted to a maximum of 30 seconds and will be include in the five minute presentation time.
The first and second place winner of each of the two groupings below from ACU will proceed to the national finals to be held at Victoria University, Melbourne in November (date tbc)
Grouping one - Science and Health
- Biological Sciences and Biotechnology;
- Health and Medical Sciences;
- Engineering, Mathematics and Informatics; and
- Physics, Chemistry and Earth Sciences
- Humanities and Creative Arts;
- Social, Behavioural and Economic Sciences;
- Land; and
- Business and Commerce
- Participants will be judged on:
- Description and importance of research problem;
- Description of the research process;
- The ability to communicate research to a non-specialist audience;
- Clear overall conclusion and final summary; and
- Creativity of presentation and engagement with the audience.
The winner of the individual groups from ACU will win $1,000 to be credited to their ACU research account.
Discipline Winner: $2,000
Second place: $1,000
Third place: $500
Overall winner: $5,000
How to Enter
Send the following details in an email with subject heading "5RP" to Res.Development@acu.edu.au :
- Your name and title
- Your school/Institute and Faculty
- Your discipline as per the groupings identified above
- Title of your presentation
- PowerPoint Slides
If you have any questions, please contact Res.email@example.com or ring Sandra Johnson on ext. 2168.