MOU signed for Mary Glowrey Museum
Published: Wednesday 19th August 2015
Caption: Mrs Anita Toner and Dr John Ballard signing MOU
Message from Associate Vice-Chancellor (Victoria) Dr John Ballard: On 6 August 2015, I signed on behalf of ACU, a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with the Catholic Women’s League of Victoria and Wagga Wagga (the League) to establish the Mary Glowrey Museum on the St. Patrick’s Campus. The Museum is scheduled to open 1 October 2016 to align with the centenary celebrations on the founding of the League.
Dr Sr Mary Glowrey JMJ was the League’s first President and one of the founding members. Earlier this year, ACU named our major teaching building on the St. Patrick’s Campus the Mary Glowrey Building to honour an extraordinary woman, driven by a vision of service to care for those in need and to train women to become doctors, nurses, pharmacists and midwives.
Dr Sr Mary Glowrey follows Saint Mary MacKillop as the second Australian on the road to becoming a saint, named Servant of God in 2013. She devoted her life to the poor and disadvantaged, particularly women and children. In 1943 she established the Catholic Health Association of India, which today provides health care services to an estimated 21 million people each year.
In 1916, when Sr Mary was elected as the founding president of the League, Archbishop Carr allocated offices for their use on the top floor of Cathedral Hall on what is now the St. Patrick’s Campus. It is in the same space that the new Museum will be established.
Mrs Anita Toner, General President of the League and co-signatory to the MOU, expressed the League’s appreciation and enthusiasm to establish the Museum.
The Museum will showcase the Mary Glowrey collection and, it is hoped, become a place of pilgrimage. Mary Glowrey spoke in Cathedral Hall, the site of many League events. The League later established a hostel for women immediately adjacent to Cathedral Hall on part of what is now the St. Mary of the Cross Square on Brunswick Street.
ACU is proud to support the League and honour Dr Sr Mary Glowery JMJ and the League’s long history of service.