Implementation of Inherent Requirements for Health Sciences Courses
Published: Monday 16th November 2015
In 2016, Health Sciences Courses in Nursing, Midwifery, Paramedicine, Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy and Social Work, will have course Inherent Requirements available to inform discussions between Student, Disability Adviser and Academic Staff, as required. These will be discussed at a special training session on 7 December featuring Associate Professor Amanda Johnson.
These Inherent Requirements have been adopted from those developed by Western Sydney University (previously University of Western Sydney) for equivalent courses.
Inherent requirements are elicited from the curriculum and represent Core or Essential elements of a program of study:
- which are intrinsic to the course that cannot be changed, modified or adjusted that students must pass in order to complete a course
- which if removed or substituted would substantially impact on the learning outcomes.
The project has been initiated to:
- assist all students to make informed choices about applying for courses by expressing course expectations from the time they first consider coming to university
- support students to engage in self-assessment of their capacity to complete the requirements and seek appropriate guidance
- enable informed, transparent and consistent decisions about reasonable adjustments to be implemented to assist students with disability
- guide the provision of reasonable adjustments in unit delivery and assessment so as not to compromise unit or course learning outcomes.
As part of the implementation plan a communication strategy has commenced and staff training presented by Associate Professor Amanda Johnson State Head of School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine NSW/ACT Australian Catholic University and Adjunct Associate Professor Western Sydney University and Carolyn Toonen Manager Disability Services has been scheduled for relevant Health Sciences and Disability Services staff via videoconference for Monday 7 December, 10.30 -12.30pm AESDT.
For more information contact Carolyn Toonen on ex 7377 or email@example.com.