Tip of the Week: Planning your annual leave
Published: Wednesday 11th November 2015
The HR Advisory Service often receives enquiries from staff about Recreational Leave. Recreational Leave is leave that assists staff to achieve work-life balance and it encompasses Annual Leave, University Holidays and Public Holidays.
Recreational Leave consists of:
- 20 working days annual leave per annum (pro rata for part-time employees);
- Three University Holidays;
- Nine National Public Holidays per annum to be taken on the days they fall due or as gazetted by the relevant State/Territory Government;
- Christmas Day
- Boxing Day
- New Year’s Day
- Australia Day
- Good Friday
- Easter Monday
- ANZAC Day
- Queen’s Birthday
- Labour Day
- Local Public Holidays to be taken on the day gazetted by the relevant State or Territory Government;
- Grand Final Friday (VIC)
- Melbourne Cup (VIC)
- Ballarat Cup or Ballarat Show Day (VIC) – whichever is first gazetted as a public holiday
- Bank Holiday (NSW) – to be taken in conjunction with the annual Christmas closedown
- Queensland Show Day (QLD)
- Canberra Day (ACT)
- Family and Community Day (ACT)
- Adelaide Cup Day (SA)
Planning for taking leave
Planning for your leave is an essential part of the annual ACU Performance Review and Planning (PRP) discussion with your supervisor. Planning your leave for the following year assists you to achieve a work/life balance and also assist the University to manage its operational requirements across different times of the year. Annual Leave needs to be taken at a time or times that are mutually convenient to the University and the staff member. Also, eligible staff members may elect to cash out a portion of their Annual Leave using the Request for Cashing out Annual Leave form.
Applying for Annual Leave
You can check your leave balances at any time by logging into Staff Connect and clicking on My Leave. Once you have discussed and agreed on your leave arrangements with your nominated supervisor, you should submit your application for annual leave through Staff Connect.
Enjoy your holidays with these special deals
Did you know that ACU staff can access travel discounts for personal leisure travel?
In the first instance, speak to your nominated supervisor about your leave plan and any other leave arrangements in your work area. If you then require further advice, contact the HR Advisory Service on firstname.lastname@example.org or call extension 4222.