Published: Wednesday 8th October 2014
Digest of Senate Meeting 4/2014
held on 18 September
at the MacKillop Campus, North Sydney
The Chancellor thanked Mr Exell for carrying out the duties of Acting Chancellor over the previous seven months.
Senate received and noted the Vice-Chancellor’s report which covered the following:
- The ACU Strategic Plan 2015-2020: Strength to Strength;
- The bi-annual Traffic Light Report;
- Futures Project Benefits Realisation Report;
- TEQSA Risk Assessment;
- Letter of offer to Vice-Chancellor to become a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law;
- Update on Higher Education Policy;
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Funding Grants Summary; and
- myVoice Staff Opinion Survey results.
Senior appointment – Director, Learning Sciences Institute Australia
Professor Claire Wyatt-Smith has been appointed to the role of Director of the Learning Sciences Institute Australia, Faculty of Education and Arts. She will commence in this role once a new Executive Dean for the Faculty of Education and Arts has been appointed. Internal expressions of interest are currently being sought for the position of Executive Dean.
Retirement - Professor Anne Hunt OAM, Executive Dean, Theology and Philosophy
Professor Anne Hunt OAM, Executive Dean, Theology and Philosophy is retiring from ACU at the end of 2014. Her contract has been extended until 31 December 2014 to enable transitional arrangements. An external recruitment agency has been engaged to assist with the recruitment process and a member of Senate will be invited to participate in the interview panel.
Senate approved the following:
the establishment of
the Institute for Religion, Politics, and Society (IRPS), and the Institute for
Health and Ageing (IHA) in order to strengthen the University’s research
the name “St Francis of Assisi Campus” for Australian Catholic University’s Adelaide Campus;
- the name “The Mary Aikenhead Clinic” for the Psychology Clinic at the Mount St Mary, Strathfield Campus;
- the ACU Strategic Plan 2015-2020: Strength to Strength;
- the Delegations Policy and Delegations Register;
- amendments to the Campus Student Association Constitution (Schedule E of Statute 9).
- the Diploma of Nursing HLT51612 for implementation at the Ballarat campus from Semester 1, 2015;
- the Master of Educational Assessment for offering in multi-mode to domestic and offshore international students from Semester 1, 2015;
- the Bachelor of Teaching (Honours) / Bachelor of Arts, with specialisations in Humanities at the Brisbane, Canberra, Melbourne and Strathfield campuses; Mathematics at the Canberra, Melbourne and Strathfield campuses; Technology at the Strathfield campus, and Visual Arts at the Melbourne and Strathfield campuses from Semester 1, 2015;
- the Bachelor of Biomedical Science for implementation at the Brisbane, North Sydney and Melbourne campuses from Semester 1, 2015; and
- the Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Simulation Education for implementation in multi-mode at Brisbane or North Sydney or Melbourne campuses, from Semester 1, 2015.
- Senate awarded for a period of three years to 18 September 2017 the title of Adjunct Professor to: Mr Martin Day; Ms Lisa Heap and Professor Oscar Salemink;
- Senate renewed for a period of three years to 18 September 2017 the title of Adjunct Professor to: Associate Professor Jose Aguilera OAM, Ms Linda Blackwell, Mr Ray Dennis, Ms Cynthia Dowell, Ms Janine Loader, Professors Patricia O’Rourke, Philippe Obert, Robert Whitbourn and Daniel Courteix;
- the revised Appointment of Honorary Titles - Criteria, Policy and Processes.
Senate received and noted the following reports:
- Standing and Finance Committee meeting of 14 August 2014;
- Academic Board meeting of 7 May 2014;
- Ceremonial and Protocols Committee meeting of 13 August 2014;
- Canberra and Goulburn Chapter Report for 5 June 2014;
- New South Wales Chapter Report for 11 August 2014;
- Victorian Chapter Report for 2 September 2014;
- Queensland Chapter Report for 19 August 2014;
- 2013 Faculty of Arts and Sciences Annual Report;
- 2013 Faculty of Health Sciences Annual Report.
Senate received a presentation by Professor Wayne McKenna, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) on ACU’s Research Intensification Strategy.
2014 ACU Literature Prize - The Language of Compassion
The first prize was awarded to: Helen Thurloe for Surgeon Mother. Lucy Williams was awarded the second prize for “Keepers of the Dead I Know” and Jenny Blackford was awarded third prize for “Its Fur So Shining-smooth”.
Dr Stephen Weller
Page last updated: 2017-06-27
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/681739