Brisbane student wins the 2016 National Oratory Final
Published: Monday 31st October 2016
The ACU National Oratory Competition is a program delivered through the Student Enrichment Unit within the Office of Student Success. The program is offered to all students and provides the opportunity for students to enhance their oratory skills.
The 2016 National Oratory Competition was held at Champagnat House on the North Sydney Campus on Wednesday, October 19.
Six finalists from the local campus oratory finals competed in the National Competition.
The finalists brought quality and a high level of competition to the event and left the audience and adjudicators with much to think about as they spoke on the topic: How is mercy enacted in the context of Australian society?
The six national finalists who competed were:
- Ballarat Campus - Cheryl Chen (Bachelor of Nursing)
- Brisbane Campus - Luke Nucifora (Master of Theological Studies)
- Canberra Campus - Louise Wu (Bachelor of Social Work)
- Melbourne Campus - James O’Brien (Master of Teaching (Secondary) / Grad Cert RE)
- North Sydney Campus - Lana Shaba (Bachelor of Physiotherapy)
- Strathfield Campus - Katie Harris (Bachelor of International Development Studies)
We would like to especially thank the adjudicators of the national competition:
- Associate Professor Catherine Renshaw, Deputy Head, Thomas More School of Law
- Dr Rachael Jacobs, Senior Lecturer, School of Education NSW/ACT
- Mr Mark Renton, ACU Toastmasters Mentor
The 2016 National Oratory Final first place was awarded to Luke Nucifora from the Brisbane Campus, followed by James O’Brien (Melbourne Campus) in second place and Lana Shaba (North Sydney Campus) in third place. Prize money for the national oratory final was $1000 for first place, $500 for second place and $200 for third place.
Congratulations to Luke and all of the finalists and thank-you to all the students and staff who contributed to this national competition, either as a participant or supporter.
For further information about Student Enrichment activities, please contact your local Student Enrichment Adviser.