ACU launches new mobile app
Published: Wednesday 18th February 2015
The ACU mobile app for students has now been launched, following a successful pilot program and testing by students across all campuses.
The app has been developed to provide current students with a diverse suite of interactive features to enhance their learning experience.
With new and commencing students arriving for the beginning of the semester next week, please take the opportunity to remind them of this valuable resource. Both Apple and Android versions of the app are available.
- LEO access
- Maps of each of the seven ACU campuses, with the ability to search for classrooms, buildings and student facilities
- Access to the services of the Office of Student Success
- Access to Library services
- Access to class timetables
- Contact details for Student Centres
- ACU social media accounts
- Access to results
Background to development
Over time, ACU has seen an increasing shift to mobile usage by students, with peak usage coinciding with the start of the academic term. Apple devices account for 90 per cent of mobile visits.
Many divisions across ACU were independently working on mobile applications. However, in order to maintain the University brand, a central app was proposed and then approved.
Sponsored by Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students, Learning and Teaching) Professor Anne Cummins, and under the direction of a working party responsible for approving the look, feel and content, the development and design of the app was guided by the following:
- What makes an app useful?
- Native versus responsive design
- Who is the audience?
- What do ACU students need?
A process was undertaken to gather requirements from all stakeholders and a pilot was launched in August 2014 to test the app among 300 students.
How does it work?
The app has been built using the Mosaic by Blackboard platform, a leader in mobility in the university sector. Selected because of its easily configurable features, the ACU app leverages the platform’s modules for maps, news, videos and contact us. Other icons are linked to ACU’s responsive webpages.
We are currently in the process of developing a number of new features and updates to enhance the functionality and capability of the app. The next round of updates will include:
- Access to ACU webmail and the staff directory
- Access to student accommodation services
- Access to examination timetables
For more information about the ACU Mobile App project please contact please contact Kym Fizzell.