Published: Monday 27th October 2014
MEETING 4/2014 HELD ON 8 OCTOBER 2014
1. WelcomeProfessor Margot Hillel OAM, Chair, welcomed all members and extended a special welcome to Professor Geraldine Castleton, who attended on behalf of Professor Claire Wyatt-Smith who was on leave. Mr Frank Basile, Senior Consultant with Voice Project, attended as a guest.
2. Report from Chair of Academic BoardThe Chair reminded members that the University Medals Committee will meet on 6 February 2015. Faculty Executive Deans are requested to appoint Faculty representatives.
The TEQSA Working Party will hold another meeting this year and one in February 2015 prior to the March deadline for re-registration submission. The meetings have been very productive and the Chair expressed her thanks to all Faculties for their willingness to provide all documentation necessary for evidence as required by TEQSA.
Given the importance of our re-registration and as the focus of the TEQSA is corporate governance and academic quality, Academic Board members will attend a Governance Forum on 17 February 2015.The Vice-Chancellor will host a dinner for Board members at his residence in the evening.
The TEQSA Working Party will, under a new name, continue to operate as a Standing Committee of Academic Board. The Terms of Reference will be submitted at the December Board meeting. The committee will have as its primary function the oversight of quality assurance on academic matters across the academic life of the University.
The Chair noted the importance of the following:
- The course approvals template.
- Policy revision.
- Policy implementation.
This was Professor David Spencer’s last in his position as Acting Executive Dean of Faculty Law and Business, although he will remain on the Board as Academic Director once Professor Therese Joiner joins ACU as Executive Dean, Faculty Business and Law in November. The Chair thanked Prof Spencer for his contribution to the Board.
This was also the last meeting that Dylan Ettridge, Student Senator would be attending as he will be away on pilgrimage in Rome during the December meeting. The Chair thanked Mr Ettridge for his contribution to the Board.
3. Academic Board received and noted the following reports:
- Report from the Acting Vice-Chancellor
- Report from the Provost
- Report from Chief Operating Officer
- Report from Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students, Learning and Teaching)
- Report from Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Report from Executive Director, International
- Report from Director of Identity and Mission
- Report from Chair of Campus Board
- TEQSA Update from Director of Planning and Strategic Management
- MyVoice ACU Staff Opinion Survey – March April 2014 High Level Results
4. Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
The Academic Board approved:
The establishment of an Indigenous Research Ethics Advisory Panel comprising the Ethics Manager ODVCR, an Indigenous HREC Member, and two external members who are either experienced Indigenous researchers and/or have strong connections to Indigenous communities.
5. Course Administration
Faculty of Health Sciences
The Academic Board approved the following:
- The addition of a new location at the Brisbane Campus for the Master of Psychology (Educational & Developmental) Master of Psychology (Educational and Developmental)/Doctor of Philosophy on-campus mode effective Semester 1, 2016.
- The addition of new location at the Strathfield Campus for the Master of Psychology (Clinical) and Master of Psychology (Clinical)/Doctor of Philosophy on-campus mode effective Semester 1, 2015.
6. Academic Board Approvals
Recommendations received by Academic Board from the Academic Administrative Committee resulted in approval of the following:
- The revised Procedures for Rescission and Revocation of an Award effective immediately.
7. Approvals by Chair of Academic Board
Academic Board noted the following Executive Approvals:
Faculty of Education and Arts
- Amendment to admission requirements Master of Teaching (Secondary) - (Professional Practice)
- Changes to the Admission Requirements Pre Service Masters Courses
- Master of Teaching (Early Childhood, Birth to Five Years)
- Master of Teaching (Early Years)
- Master of Teaching (Primary)
- Master of Teaching (Primary)/Graduate Certificate in Religious Education
- Master of Teaching (Secondary)
- Graduate Diploma of Education (Secondary)
- Discontinuation of the Bachelor of High Performance (Sport and Business)
- Discontinuation Master of Clinical Exercise Physiology (Honours) and Master of Health Science (Rehabilitation)
- Minor Change to Course rules Bachelor of Nursing
- Change of Admission Rules Bachelor of Nursing
One administrative conferral outside of the normal graduation process
Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students Learning and Teaching)
- Amendments to the Policies and Procedures relating to teaching evaluation and unit evaluation
- Policy on Learning and Teaching Evaluation
- Policy on Unit Evaluation
- Procedures Relating to Unit Evaluation
- Policy on Teaching Evaluation
- Procedures Relating to Teaching Evaluations
There were three rescissions award completions and conferrals.
8. Academic Board received and noted the following minutes
- Academic Board Executive
- University Learning and Teaching Committee
- University Research Committee
- Internationalisation Committee
- Academic Administrative Committee
- Courses and Academic Quality Committee
- Planning, Quality and Risk Committee
27 June 2014.
- Faculty of Education and Arts
13 May 2014.
- Faculty of Health Sciences
- Faculty of Law and Business
- Faculty of Theology and Philosophy
Academic Board received and noted the following:
- Agreement between The William Light Institute and ACU Limited
- The Nursing Research Institute Annual Report 2013.
Chair, Academic Board
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/685368