Academic Board Digest
Published: Monday 2nd June 2014
Held on May 7, 2014
Professor Margot Hillel, Chair, welcomed all members and extended a special welcome to Mr Julian Leeser, Director of Government, Policy & Strategy, Professor James McLaren who attended as Acting Dean of the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy, and Mr Jim Graham who attended on behalf of Ms Fides Lawton.
2. Report from Chair of Academic Board
The Chair congratulated the Vice-Chancellor on his appointment to the TEQSA Review Panel and thanked him for hosting the Academic Board Welcome function at his residence after the February Board meeting. The Chair congratulated Professor Karen Flowers on her election as Deputy Chair of Academic Board.
The Board was informed that as part of the Organisational Unit Review Procedure, the suite of review documents is now published on the Office of Planning and Strategic Management (OPSM) staff site. The following documents are available:
- Review of the Centre for Indigenous Education and Research (CIER)
- Response Plan and the suite of review documents which includes the Self-Evaluation Report and the Final Review Report.
The Chair noted the number of policies that were for review at the meeting which is in line with the Policy Review Schedule.
The TEQSA Working Party is continuing its work and the Chair thanked all Faculties for their support. Currently another AQF audit is being undertaken in consultation with the Provost. This will ensure course compliance by 1 January 2015.
3. Academic Board received and noted the following reports:
- Report from the Provost
- Report from Chief Operating OfficerReport from Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Students, Learning and Teaching)
- Report from Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- Report from Director of Identity and Mission
- Report from Chair of Campus Board
- Report from the Director of Government, Policy & Strategy
Mr Leeser updated the Board on the Commonwealth Higher Education Policy Directions including a report on the 2014 Federal Budget announcement; The Report of the Review of the Demand Driven Funding System (The Kemp-Norton Review); The Commission of Audit and The Hon Christopher Pyne MP’s speech which he delivered at the Universities Australia Conference.
4. Academic Board received and noted the following presentations:
- Student Experience
- Professor Anne Cummins and Ms Evelyn Picot presented on the University Experience Survey – Institutional Report and the Quarterly Report - Q1/2012 – Strategic Goal 1 – Student Experience both of which are significant for benchmarking and TEQSA’s quality agenda.
- Learning and Teaching Framework 2014-2017 – Learning for Life
- An initial presentation was screened to introduce the Framework. Professors Anne Cummins, David Spencer and Kevin Ashford-Rowe followed by presenting a complete overview of the Framework.
- Director of Identity and Mission
- Fr Anthony Casamento addressed the Board on Catholic Identity.
- TEQSA update Ms Picot presented to the Board and highlighted the following:
- Implications for ACU as a result of changes to the ACT by the TEQSA Amendment Bill.
- Re-registration is due on 4 March 2015.
- The TEQSA Regulatory Risk Framework.
- The proposed Higher Education standards framework
5. Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research)
- The Academic Board approved the definition of Research Active Status in principle and charged the Chair and Professor Wayne McKenna, Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research) to make further revision to the definition.
- Academic Board approved the policy on Research Authorship.
- Academic Board approved the revised policy on Joint (Cotutelle) and Double-Badged Enrolment at ACU.
6. Course Administration
- Faculty of Education and Arts together with the Faculty of Law and Business, the Faculty of Health Sciences and the Faculty of Theology and Philosophy.
The Academic Board approved the Major Change to the Bachelor of Global Studies including the introduction of new International Study/Internship units to all Global Studies dual degrees; Bachelor of Applied Public Health/Bachelor of Global Studies; Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Global Studies; Bachelor of Business Administration/Bachelor of Global Studies; Bachelor of Commerce/ Bachelor of Global Studies; Bachelor of Laws/Bachelor of Global Studies; Bachelor of Theology/Bachelor of Global Studies.
7. Academic Board Approvals
The Academic Board made the following approvals:
- The election of Professor Margot Hillel as the new Academic Board representative on the Level E Promotions Committee for 2 years.
- The ACU Learning and Teaching Framework 2014-2017 – Learning for Life.
- The English Language Policy for immediate implementation and which replaces the rescinded Language and Literacy Policy.
- The Policy on Academic Programs offered across Multiple Locations and/or Multiple Study Modes, with effect from 1 January 2015 and which replaces the rescinded Policy on Academic Programs offered across Australian Catholic University.
- The Policy on Discipline Expertise within Courses, with effect from 1 January 2015 and which replaces the rescinded Policy on Disciplinary Integrity within Courses.
- The effective date for the Policy and Procedures for the Awarding of Medals for Academic Achievement has been amended to 1 December 2014.This Policy is to be adopted by the University Medals Committee when determining awards for University Medals for the 2014 Academic Year.
- The consequential rescission date for the Rules and Guidelines for the Award of University Medals and the Rules for the Award of Faculty Medals has been amended to 1 December 2014.
- The revised Terms of Reference of the Courses and Academic Quality Committee.
- The revised Terms of Reference of the Internationalisation Committee.
- The revised Terms of Reference
8. Approvals by Chair of Academic Board
Academic Board noted the following Executive Approvals which had been made by the Chair of Academic Board:
- The Change of Fee Category – Master of Teaching (Early Childhood, Birth to Five Years)(Faculty of Education and Arts).
- Revised Study Periods 2015
- Study periods were streamlined and reduced by one.
- The Suspension of the Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Social Work; Bachelor of Theology/Bachelor of Social Work (Faculty of Health Sciences).
9. Academic Board received and noted the following minutes
Academic Board Executive
Unconfirmed minutes of the meeting held on 16 April 2014.
University Learning and Teaching Committee
Confirmed minutes of the meeting held on 25 February 2014 and unconfirmed minutes of the meeting held on 9 April 2014.
University Research Committee
Confirmed minutes of the meeting of held on 3 December 2013.
Academic Administrative Committee
Unconfirmed minutes of the meeting held on 9 April 2014.
Courses and Academic Quality Committee
Unconfirmed minutes of the meeting held on 2 April 2014.
University Learning and Teaching Committee
Confirmed minutes of the meeting held on 2 April 2014.
Faculty of Health Sciences
Confirmed minutes of the meeting held on 15 January 2014.
Faculty of Law and Business
Confirmed minutes of the meeting held on 8 April 2014.
Faculty of Theology and Philosophy
Confirmed minutes of the meetings held on 12 March and 5 February 2014.
Office of Strategic Planning and Management
Unconfirmed minutes of the Planning, Quality and Risk Committee meeting held on 10 April and confirmed minutes of the meeting held on 6 February 2014.
10.Academic Board received and noted the following:
- The Faculty of Theology and Philosophy Annual Report 2013
- The link to Students, Learning and Teaching Portfolio 2013 Annual Report – http://www.acu.edu.au/413347
- The Draft Policy on the ACU Tobacco Free Policy
- The Draft Shared Services Review and Service Matters Framework
- The 2014 ACU Literature Prize brochure
- The draft template of the Executive Dean’s Certificate
Professor Margot Hillel OAM
Chair, Academic Board