Create Signup groups in LEO to allow students to choose their own groups - as with group-based assignments, for example.
As a lecturer, if you decide to use signup groups, first determine how many students you will allow per group and therefore how many groups will be needed.
- In the LEO unit, select Administration menu > Unit administration > Users > Groups.
- Select the 'Signup groups' tab.
- Click the 'Create signup group' button.
- Give the group a name, e.g. "Signup group 1", type in the 'maximum number of members' and click 'Save changes'
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 until you have the required number of groups.
When students enter the LEO unit, they will be able to go to the Navigation menu > Current unit > [Unit name] > Participants > Signup groups. You could choose to promote this link as a URL in the list of activities in a section.
The student can select a group to join. They can also see which members a group has before joining.
If a particular signup group has reached its maximum number of members, the student will have to select a different group.