Every LEO unit is broken up into sections. The most common and preferred way to display these sections is in the 'tiles format'. Usually, the first few tiles will be material about the unit as a whole, with titles such as "Information", "Assessment" and "Communication".
After the general information sections, the unit will usually be broken up into sections based on topic or week.
Clicking on a tile opens up a screen listing the content for that section. Clicking on the 'All sections' tile opens up a screen listing the content of all sections.
The first step in when editing items in a LEO unit is nearly always to turn editing on. Click on the 'Turn editing on' button in the banner, or the 'Turn editing on' link in the Administration > Unit administration menu.
When editing is turned on, you will see a list of all the sections in the unit and all the activities and resources in each section, as well as a number of editing links and icons.
Scroll to a section where you would like to change the name. Click the 'edit summary' link just below the name of the section.
- In the page that opens up, uncheck the 'Use default section name' box and type in a new name, such as the name of the topic.
- You can add a summary of the section if you would like to provide information about the topic.
- When you are happy with the changes, click the 'Save changes' button.
To change the image of a tile in a section, with editing on, navigate to the bottom of a section. Under the 'Tile Preview' title, there will be options to change the background (upload a new image file), or remove the background (use the default template image).
If you do not see the 'Tile Preview' options, it means you do not have permission to change the images. Contact your faculty eLearning team for assistance.
- With editing turned on, navigate to the section you would like to move.
Next to the name of the section is a four-headed-arrow icon.
- Click and drag this icon to move the section to the area where you want it to go,
Click on the icon to bring up a list of all the sections in the unit. Click on one of the sections. The section will move the the position above the section you select.
- With editing turned on, navigate to the activity or resource you would like to move.
Next to the name of each activity or resource is a four-headed-arrow icon.
- Click and drag this icon to move the activity or resource to the position where you want it to go, including into a different section,
Click on the icon to bring up a list of all the activities and resources in the unit. Click on one of the activities or resources. The item will move the the position above the activity or resource you select.
Hiding a section
Sections can be hidden from view the lecturer is ready for students to access them.
With editing turned on, click the 'hide topic' icon across from the name of the icon.
The section will become 'greyed-out' for the lecturer, but they will still be able to access and edit the unit without the student having access.
What does the student see? Either student will not see the section at all and not even know it exists, or they will be able to see the tile and the title of the section, but not be able to access the content of the section. Which is the case for your unit is determined by the unit settings case is described in the unit settings page.
To "unhide" a section, click the same icon again.
Restricting access to a section
As with activities and resources, access restrictions can be placed on entire sections. Click the 'edit summary' link just below the name of the section.
The restrict access options are below the name and summary for the section. Sections can be restricted in a number of ways including by date, having completed an activity, group (including campus), grade and more complicated rules. Sections that are restricted can be hidden completely from view or greyed-out for students.
For more information on restrictions, see the Hiding and restricting access page of the LEO Guides.
Adding additional sections is discussed in the unit settings page. Simply increase the number next to the 'Number of sections' setting. New sections will appear at the end of the list of sections. Reorder and rename the sections if necessary.
There are two ways to delete sections.
1. The first is to reduce the number next to the 'Number of sections' setting as discussed in the unit settings page. Those sections at the end of the list will be removed first. If there are activities or resources in a removed section, these items are not deleted. They become 'orphaned', meaning they don't belong to an active section anymore and they cannot be seen by a student looking at the unit page. Orphaned activities will come back into view if the number of sections is increased again.
2. The second way to delete sections is, with editing turned on, click the 'delete section' icon across from the name of the section you want to delete.
You will be given a warning message before proceding.
Deleting a section this way will permanently delete the section and any activities and resources it contains.