How to get help with LEO
- See the full list of LEO help available from this link.
- Moodle's online documentation for technical information and some pedagogical advice on managing your units.
- LEO Support for telephone or email-based LEO technical support.
- IT Service Desk for help with Lecture Capture (Echo 360) and desktop software (such as Excel or Photoshop).
- Faculties-based help and support.
- eLearning 101 web page for regular interactive webinars on a range of technology enhanced learning topics. The recordings of previous webinars can also be accessed from this link.
- LEO professional development workshops for information on a series of face-to-face workshops before the start of semester one.
- Feedback form or email eLearning.LTC@acu.edu.au directly to request a workshop for five or more participants.
- Learning and Teaching website or the Learning and Teaching Contacts page for learning and teaching help that is not directly technology related (such as assessment, curriculum, evaluation or awards).
To add a URL to a LEO unit you need to:
- Navigate to your LEO unit.
- Click 'Turn editing on'.
- Click on 'Add an activity or resource'. Select 'URL' from the options given, then click on 'Add'.
- You will need to give your URL a name. This name will be the link which your students will click on to access the content you have linked to behind the URL.
- Copy and paste the URL for the content you want to link to, into the 'External URL' field. The optional settings for the URL activity are explored in more detail in the 'Other settings' section of this LEO Guide.
- Click 'Save and return to unit' when you are done.
There are many ways of linking to, and embedding, external content into your LEO unit. For example, you can curate links and resources into a Page activity. Similarly, you can embed links, resources, and videos into the content fields of Quizzes, Assignments, and Lesson activities.
If the content you want to link to is a YouTube or Vimeo video, rather than using a URL you may like to think about embedding the content into a Label. A Label is similar to a Page, except it displays in the main section of your LEO unit, and doesn't open in a new window.
- To learn more, please read our LEO Guide - Label.
The URL tool offers a lot of flexibility in how your content will be displayed. The settings which are unique to the URL are explored in more detail below.
The options available to you in the 'Display' dropdown are:
- Automatic - The best display option for the URL will be selected automatically.
- Embed - The URL will be displayed in the page within LEO, below the navigation bar together with the URL description and any blocks.
- Open - Only the URL will be displayed in the browser window.
- In pop-up - The URL will open in a new browser window without menus or an address bar. The size of this pop-up window is determined by you.
- In frame - The URL will be displayed within a frame below the navigation bar and URL description.
- New window - The URL will be displayed in a new browser window with both menus and an address bar.
Pop-up width (in pixels)
This option is only relevant if you select 'In pop-up' from the 'Display' dropdown menu. Put a number into this field to determine the width in pixels of your pop-up window.
Pop-up height (in pixels)
This option is only relevant if you select 'In pop-up' from the 'Display' dropdown menu. Put a number into this field determine the height in pixels of your pop-up window.
Display URL description
This option is only relevant if you have entered a description for your URL. For example, in the description you may like to put a reason why you have included this URL in your LEO unit, and what you would like your students to do with the content.
The options available under the URL Variables heading are recommended for use only by advanced LEO users.
Page last updated: 2017-09-01
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/948670