How to add a User Override to a Quiz
The Quiz activity within LEO allows you to limit the ways and times in which your students are able to access and complete a Quiz activity. For example, you can set both the day, and time in which your students are able to access the Quiz, the closing date of your Quiz (when it is no longer accessible to students), and how long your students have to complete the Quiz. These are particularly useful functionalities is you are using the Quiz activity for the purposes of assessment.
- To learn more about advanced Quiz settings, please see our LEO Guide: 'How to set up a Quiz'
When it comes to the Quiz activity, you are able to change the settings for an individual student, without compromising the settings for the rest of the students within your LEO Unit. This is called adding a 'User override'.
To add a User override for an individual student within your LEO Unit you will need to:
- Click on the Quiz within your LEO Unit
- Navigate to the Administration block, which has now become the Quiz administration block.
- Click on 'User overrides', then click on 'Add user override'
- Select the student who you want to add the Override for. You can either select their name from the list provided by clicking on it, or search for them in the 'Search' box.
- After your student has been selected (they will be highlighted in blue), you are able to change the settings for just this individual student.
Adding a User override for an individual student will not impact on any of the other students in your LEO Unit. Available overrides include:
Enabling this setting would force this one student to enter a password before being able to access the Quiz.
Open the quiz
Editing the dates under the 'Open the quiz' section will change when the Quiz opens for the student you have selected.
Close the quiz
Editing the dates under the 'Open the quiz' section will change the closing date for the Quiz, for the student you have selected.
This is the most commonly used override. You would edit this setting if you wanted to allow one of your students more time to complete the Quiz than the rest off the cohort.
You are able to edit the amount of attempts your selected student is able to make at this Quiz.
NOTE: you are able to reverse any of these settings at any time by clicking on 'Revert to quiz defaults' from the 'User overrides' page.
Click here to watch a video, stepping you through the User override process.
You may like to create a practice Quiz for students to take, before they are required to complete the 'real' quiz for the purposes of assessment. Practice quizzes are useful in that they allow your students to get used to the interface of the Quiz, without feeling the pressure that may come along with completing an assessment task. Additionally, practice Quizzes are a good opportunity for you to become familiar with the Quiz interface from the back end!
If you have a cohort of students you would like to add the same override conditions to, it is recommended that you instead use 'Group overrides', rather than add a lot of individual USer overrides manually. NOTE: these students will need to be added to a group within your LEO Unit, before you are able to assign them a Group override.
- To learn about Groups and Groupings, please read out LEO Guide 'How to add students to a Group'
- To learn more about Groups, please read our LEO Guide 'How to add a Group override to a Quiz'