How to set up a Lesson
The Lesson activity is a tool which has a lot of additional functionality available to you on the settings page. You don’t need to be familiar with all of these settings before you add a Lesson activity to your LEO unit, as you can go in and edit these later.
NOTE: We will explore these settings in more detail under the ‘Other settings’ section of this LEO Guide
To add a Lesson activity to your LEO unit you will need to:
- Navigate to your unit from within LEO.
- Click 'Turn editing on'
- Scroll down to the section in your Moodle site you would like to add the Lesson to, then click on ‘Add an activity or resource’. From the options given under the ‘ACTIVITIES’ heading select ‘Lesson’ and then click on ‘Add’. In the new page that opens up you will be able to edit the settings for your Lesson activity.
NOTE: Clicking on any of the section heading on the settings page will expand that section, allowing you to edit the settings as appropriate. Alternatively, you can click on ‘Expand all’.
- At minimum, you will need to give your Lesson activity a name. However it is also useful to enter text in the ‘Description’ text box, so that your students know what the Lesson is about, or the reason they are being asked to complete it. Click on the box next to ‘Display description on unit page’ if you would like the description to be visible from the main page of your LEO unit.
- Once you have selected your settings as appropriate, click on ‘Save and return to unit’ to return to the main page of your LEO unit.
It is best practice to map your Lesson activity out visually, before you start to develop it within LEO. You can use pen and paper, post-it notes, the ‘SmartArt’ function in Word, or any number of free cloud-based mind-mapping programs to help you design the activity (we recommend MindMup but there are lots of options to try).
It is also a good idea to ‘hide’ your Lesson activity from the students in your LEO Unit while the activity is being developed. To hide the Lesson activity from your students:
- Click on ‘Turn editing on’.
- Navigate to your Lesson activity, and click on the ‘Edit’ icon.
- Click on ‘Hide’ (the 'eye' icon).
Just remember to ‘Unhide’ the activity when it is ready!
In this section we will explore the options which are unique to the Lesson activity.
You can choose to upload a file (for example a PDF) which will ‘pop up’ at the beginning of the Lesson. Every page will have the option to reopen the pop-up file if necessary.
A progress bar will display how far the student has navigated through the activity.
Display ongoing score
The student’s current score will be displayed.
The student will see a list of all of the pages available in the activity. You should not enable this option if you are creating a 'choose your own adventure' activity, or one where the students are able to navigate through multiple pathways.
Minimum grade to display menu
This setting determines whether a student must obtain a certain grade before being able to view the Lesson menu. This forces the student to go through the entire lesson on their first attempt.
The lesson is displayed as a slideshow.
Maximum number of answers
Specifies the total number of answers available in the Lesson activity.
Use default feedback
If enabled, when a response is not found for a particular question, the default response will default to "That's the correct answer" or "That's the wrong answer".
Link to next activity
If enabled, this setting will place a link at the end of the Lesson activity to another activity within your LEO unit.
Allow student review
Students are able to navigate through the Lesson from the first page.
Provide option to try a question again
If the students gives an incorrect response, they are given the option to attempt the question again.
Maximum number of attempts
Specifies maximum number of attempts a student is able to make per question. When reached, the student is automatically navigated to the next page of the Lesson.
Action after correct answer
After answering a question correctly, there are 3 options for the following page:
- Normal - Follow lesson path
- Show an unseen page - pages are shown in a random order with no page shown twice
- Show an unanswered page - pages are shown in a random order, with pages containing unanswered questions shown again
Number of pages to show
This setting specifies the number of pages shown in a lesson. It is only applicable for lessons with pages shown in a random order (for example when "Action after correct answer" is set to "Show an unseen page" or "Show an unanswered page"). If this option is set to zero, then all pages in the Lesson activity will be shown.