A collection of resources in Equella is known as an Item. Items can be thought of as a folder that may contain one or more resources of different types, which you can link to individually from your LEO unit, or all at once as part of a Content Package.
For example, an item may contain a number of PDF guides, web links, and videos, which are used as resources for students in your LEO unit. You can link to these resources from one or many units. If you then update these resources in Equella, all units that use them will automatically display the updated versions.
How to contribute a new item to Equella
1. Log into LEO and navigate to the unit you wish to add content resources to. Use the button at the top right to 'Turn Editing On', then in the content section that you want to add a resource to, select the 'Add an activity or resource' link.
2. In the popup window, choose 'Content' on the left, and select 'Add'.
3. This will open the Equella browser, which allows you to choose resources from the Equella database for yourdepartment or faculty that you have either already created yourself or that are commonly available for use.
To create a new resource, select 'Contribute' in the top menu:
4. On the Add Content screen, enter a short, descriptive title in the Item Title field. You can also add a longer description of your item in the Description field below the title:
5. When this item information has been completed, it is time to add resources to your new Equella item. Select 'Add a resource' under the section “Choose the type of resources you wish to upload”.
6. Choose the type of resource you want to add. To upload a document from your computer, such as a PDF, Word document, image file, and for most other common document types, choose the 'Upload a file' option, then click 'Next'.
7. On the Upload screen, use either the 'Browse' button to select a file from your computer to upload, or drag a file out of the Explorer or Finder window and drop it into the upload box (the area of the upload window bordered by a grey dotted border).
You can add one or several files at a time. Each one will display a progress bar while uploading. When completed, you will see each file listed with a green bar indicating it has uploaded successfully:
8. When you have uploaded all the files you wish to add, click the 'Next' button (if you are uploading a single file) or the 'Add' button (if you are uploading several files at once). If you are uploading a single file, such as a PDF, a popup will appear that allows you to edit the file’s 'Display name':
This popup may be skipped if you are uploading several files at once, but you can still edit this information later by clicking the 'Edit' link for this resource when editing the item.
9. When you return to the item editor, you will see your new files listed under the resources section. You can 'Edit' the properties for each file, 'Replace' the file with another file, or 'Delete' the resource. You can also select the 'Add a resource' link again and add more files, or resources of a different type.
10. When you have finished adding all the resources, save your new Equella item by clicking the 'Save' button at the top of the right column, or 'Cancel' to discard your new item.
11. If you are saving a new item, or new version of an existing item, you will be asked to confirm publishing the item. Click the 'Publish' button to make the item live, 'Save draft' to keep your new item but not yet make it live, or 'Cancel' to discard your item changes.