How to make a screen recording using Kaltura
The Kaltura service enables you to make a simple screen recording, which you can save as a video and embed into your LEO unit for your students to view. Screen recordings are a useful way of demonstrating to your students how you want them to interact with a LEO assignment, or perform basics tasks on a computer. To create a screen recording and embed it into your LEO unit you need to:
- Click on 'Turn editing on'
- Navigate to the section within your LEO unit you would like to add the Kaltura resource to, then click on 'Add an activity or resource'
- Click on 'Kaltura Video Resource' from the options provided
- In the new screen that opens, give your recording a meaningful name. Scroll further down the page and click on the 'Video' heading to expand the section
- Click on the 'video camera' icon to open the Kaltura media interface. Alternatively, you can click the blue 'Add media' button.
- The Kaltura media interface will open in a popup window. Click on 'Add new' to access a dropdown menu of options: 'Media Upload', 'Webcam recording', 'Video Presentation', or 'Screen Recording'. Select 'Screen Recording'.
- Click on the blue 'Launch the screen recorder' button. Note: You may be asked to update your version of Java in order to use this functionality of the Kaltura platform. It might take up to 1 or 2 minutes to load the applet, depending on the installed Java version.
- A frame will now open on your screen. This frame represents the area of your screen that will be captured by the Kaltura screen recording. This frame can be resized according to your own parameters, and to exclude parts of your screen you don't want to capture in your recording.
- Click on the red icon at the bottom left of the frame to start your recording, and click on it again to pause your recording. Click on 'Restart' if you want to start your recording again and discard the previous attempt. Click on 'Done' when you are satisfied with the recording you have made.
- In the next screen you are able to preview your screen recording, as well as give it a title. Your screen capture will be uploaded to the Kaltura platform.
- In the following screen click 'Back to browse and embed'
- You will be taken to your list of Kaltura uploads and recordings. Locate your screen capture from the list of recordings. Click on the blue dropdown menu to the right of the preview of your new recording and select the size you want your screen capture to display.
- You will now be returned to your LEO unit. Select additional settings as necessary and then click 'Save and display'. Your screen recording will be available to your students as a link from the main page of your LEO unit.
Pedagogical benefits of videos for teaching and learning. (n.d). Institute for Teaching and Learning Innovation, University of Southern Queensland. Available at: http://www.uq.edu.au/teach/video-teach-learn/ped-benefits.html [Accessed 18 Aug. 2016].