How to use categories in a Glossary
If your Glossary is quite expansive, or has a lot of contributing editors, you may like to think about adding Categories to it. Categories can help to organise your glossary entries, and allow your entries to be more easily navigable. If you've enabled autolinking, the category names can be linked along with individual entries.
To add a category to your Glossary you need to:
- Click on the link to your Glossary from within the LEO unit.
- Click the 'Browse by category' tab
- Click the blue 'Edit categories' button
- Click the 'Add category' button
- Give the category a name, and choose whether you want the category name autolinked throughout your LEO unit as well
- Click 'Save changes' when you are done.
If you autolink the category name, any occurrence of those words throughout your LEO unit will be linked. back to the Glossary entry When a student clicks on the link, they will be taken to the 'Browse by category' page of your Glossary activity.
You have four options when it comes to navigating the entries in your Glossary: 'Browse by alphabet', 'Browse by category', 'Browse by date' and 'Browse by author'. The Glossary activity also has an inbuilt search functionality, whereby you can either search the entire text for the search term, or only the title of the entry itself.
Best practices: Working with Glossary (2013). Moodlerooms. [online] Retrieved from: http://www.moodlerooms.com/best-practices-working-glossary/ [Accessed 17 Jun. 2016].