How to embed a YouTube video into a Text editor field
There are three steps required to adding a YouTube video into a Text editor field. These steps are:
- Locate the 'embed' code for the YouTube video.
- Add an activity or resource to your unit which used the Text editor functionality (for example a Label or Page).
- Copy and paste the 'embed' code into the Text editor field.
Step 1: Find the 'embed' code for your YouTube video
To find the embed video for your YouTube video you will need to:
- Locate the YouTube video you would like to make available to your students. An example might be this video Welcome to Australian Catholic University for Undergraduate students.
- Click on the 'Share' button, then click on 'Embed'.
- Click on 'SHOW MORE'. From here, you can select the appropriate settings. The settings you select at this step will alter the 'embed' code in the field above. When you are happy with your selections, 'copy' the embed code. You will need this later to 'paste' into the Text editor field.
Step 2: Add an activity or resource to your LEO unit
There are many activities and tools within LEO which make use of the text editor function. This includes (but is not limited to) Book, Page, Quiz, Assignment, HTML Block, and Label.
- To add a Label, please read our LEO Guide - How to add a Label to your unit.
- To add a Page, please read our LEO Guide - How to add a Page to your LEO unit.
- To add a Book, please read our LEO Guide - How to set up a Book.
Step 3: Copy and paste the 'embed' code (widget) into the Text editor field of your activity or resource
After you have added your activity or resource to your LEO unit, you will be directed to the 'Updating: [activity name]' page.
From the 'Updating: [activity name]' page you now need to:
- Click on the 'Edit HTML source' icon. It is located next to 'Font size' on the botton row of icons, and looks like this: <>.
- Clicking on the 'Edit HTML source' icon will open a new pop-up window called the 'HTML source editor'. Simply copy and paste the embed code from your YouTube video into this pop-up window. Click 'Update' once you are done. Clicking on 'Update' will close the pop-up window.
- Click 'Save changes' when you are done.
Your YouTube video is now embedded in the Text editor field.