How to embed a Tweet in a Text editor field
There are three steps required to embedding a Tweet into a Text editor field. These steps are:
- Locate the 'embed' code for the Tweet.
- Add an activity or resource to your unit which uses the Text editor functionality (for example a Label or Page).
- Copy and paste the 'embed' HTML code into the HTML Source Code view Text editor.
Step 1: Find the 'embed' code for your Tweet
To find the embed video for your Tweet you will need to:
- Locate the Tweet you would like to make available to your students. If you have located the Tweet in your timeline, click on it to open it in a separate popup window.
- Click on the 'Share' button, which is below the Tweet. It looks like three dots. Then from the options provided in the dropdown menu, click on 'Embed Tweet'.
- Copy the embed code which has been automatically generated. You will need this later to 'paste' into the Text editor field.
Step 2: Add an activity or resource to your LEO unit
There are many activities and tools within LEO which make use of the text editor function. This includes (but is not limited to) Book, Page, Quiz, Assignment, HTML Block, and Label.
- To add a Label, please read our LEO Guide - How to add a Label to your unit.
- To add a Page, please read our LEO Guide - How to add a Page to your LEO unit.
- To add a Book, please read our LEO Guide - How to set up a Book.
Step 3: Copy and paste the 'embed' code (widget) into the Text editor field of your activity or resource
After you have added your activity or resource to your LEO unit, you will be directed to the 'Updating: [activity name]' page.
From the 'Updating: [activity name]' page you now need to:
- Click on the 'Edit HTML source' icon. It is located next to 'Font size' on the bottom row of icons, and looks like this: <>.
- Clicking on the 'Edit HTML source' icon will open a new pop-up window called the 'HTML source editor'. Copy and paste the embed code from your Tweet into this pop-up window. Click 'Update' once you are done. Clicking on 'Update' will close the pop-up window.
- Click 'Save changes' when you are done.
Your Tweet is now embedded in the Text editor field.
When you are generating the embed code for your Tweet, you are able to select, or deselect, if you want any media which has been attached to the Tweet to be included in your embed code. Examples of media include videos, images, and animated gifs. When you select or deselect the check box, you will get a preview of how the embedded Tweet will look in the preview window.