How to add a link in a Text editor field
There are three steps to adding a link into a Text editor field. These steps are:
- Locate the URL for the webpage or internal LEO resource to which you want to link.
- Add an activity or resource to your unit which uses the Text editor functionality (for example a Label or Page).
- Link to the content using the 'Insert/edit link' functionality in the Text editor.
Step 1. Locate the URL (web address) of the webpage or resource you want to link to
URL, or 'Uniform Resource Locator', refers to the unique address which identifies every piece of content (e.g. an image or video) or webpage that is hosted on the internet. You can locate the URL for a webpage or piece of content by clicking on it, and then copying and pasting the content from the 'address bar' in your browser. The term 'browser' refers to the program you use to access the internet (for example Firefox or Internet explorer).
Step 2. Add an activity or resource to your unit which uses the Text editor function, then add content in the form of text or an image
Add content to the activity or resource by adding text, or uploading an image into the Text editor field. The text or image that you add is going to act as the 'anchor' that your webpage or piece of content will be linked from.
Step 3. Link to the content using the 'Insert/edit link' functionality
- 'Highlight' the text or image you have added, by clicking and holding down the mouse button, and dragging it over the content. The content will be highlighted in grey.
- Click on the 'Insert/edit link' icon. It looks like a set of links in a chain.
- A pop-up window will open. Paste your URL (web address) into the 'Link URL' field.
- In the dropdown next to 'Target', select how you want your link to open. If the content you are linking to is on the internet (outside of LEO), you should select 'Open in a new window'. If the content you are linking to is hosted inside your LEO unit, you should select 'Open in this window/frame'.
NOTE: There are additional functionalities available to you in the 'Insert/edit link' pop-up window. These are explained in length under 'Other settings'.
- Click on 'Insert'. The pop-up window will close, and you will be returned to the Text editor field. If you added text, you will see it is now blue, indicating it is a functional 'link'.
- Click 'Save and return to unit' or 'Save and display' when you are done.
Right next to the 'Insert/edit link' icon is the 'Unlink' icon. Highlight your content and then click 'Unlink' if you want to remove the link this content in your Text editor field.
There are four tabs available to you in the 'Insert/edit link' pop-up window. The 'Events' and 'Advanced' tab are not really relevant to you unless you are an advanced LEO user. The most useful tab is 'Popup'.