Send a message to all participants in a unit.
There are a number of ways of accessing Messaging, including the 'Messages' block, however this guide focuses on sending a message through the participants list in a unit.
Please note: if you have a large cohort of students, messages should be sent out in groups otherwise your link to LEO or the system might freeze. If the message is not time-critical, then the News forum is a more appropriate method.
1. Navigate to your unit in LEO, then in the 'Navigation' block, go to Current unit >Unit name>Participants. This will display a list of all participants enroled in your unit.
2. If you have groups in this unit, make sure 'All participants' is selected in the 'Visible groups'.
3. If you you would like to send a message to students only (and not administrators or other lecturers) in the unit, from the 'Current role' drop-down menu at the top of the page, select 'Student'.
4. If there are more than 20 participants in the unit, they will not all be listed on the first page. At the bottom of the page, click the link that states 'Show all [number of students]'.
5. Click the 'Select all' button at the bottom of the page.
6. At the bottom of the page, from the 'With selected users...' drop-down, select 'Send a message'.
7. LEO displays the 'Message unit users' page. Enter your message in the 'Message body' field. Note: This field contains the usual text editor functions, so in addition to text, you can include images or hyperlinks if required
8. Click the 'Preview' button.
9. When you are ready to send the message, click 'Send message' button.
The body of the message field contains the usual text editor functions, so in addition to text, you can include images or hyperlinks if required.
You can edit your message before sending by clicking on 'Update'. LEO will return to the 'Message unit users' page to make the required edits before sending.
There is a 1 hour time frame to edit the messages before they are sent to students.
If sending a message to a large cohort of students in a group, semester to click on 'Select all' at the bottom of the page before clicking on send message options, to ensure the message is sent to all students in the group.
Page last updated: 2017-06-29
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/949143