Delivery mode: Online
Duration: 2 years, 4 units (1 unit per semester)
The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education is designed to help you to promote your career as a tertiary educator and to contribute directly to the further development of a culture of excellence in learning and teaching – particularly at ACU. The entirely online course supports you with the achievement of learning outcomes that are directly related to enhancing your capabilities in learning and teaching in Higher Education.
The course is work-integrated so that you undertake learning activities that are of direct relevance and benefit to you. Because the learning and assessment tasks relate directly to activities you undertake in your daily work, your study time will be more efficient and productive.
The sequence of units is designed to scaffold your learning towards an integrated, scholarly project.
In these ways, the course aims to model and illustrate good practice and to ensure your learning experience is transparently relevant and strategically beneficial.
Key features of the course include:
- alignment with the ACU Teaching Criteria and Standards Framework and consistent with the UK Higher Education Academy's Performance Standards Framework
- relevance to established academics as well as new teaching staff
- provides a foundation of research and scholarship in Higher Education, with a strong theoretical and scholarly base to promote your own scholarship and excellence in learning and teaching.
View the GCHE Course Brochure.
This course will enable participants to:
- establish a strong theoretical and scholarly foundation to reflective practice that informs your teaching
- undertake curriculum and assessment design in ways that reflect an understanding of adult learning principles
- design and implement course and unit evaluation and improvement plans
- integrate the use of educational technology into your learning, teaching and assessment strategy in ways informed by educational theory
- undertake a high quality scholarly project in higher education
Who is it for?
You will have a bachelor degree (or higher), hold an appointment within a tertiary education institution, and be employed in a role that directly involves teaching (i.e. a teaching-focused or teaching-research role). Full-time, part-time and sessional staff are equally welcome to apply. Some non-academics may also be eligible for admission: conditions apply.
What is the time commitment?
2 years, 1 unit per semester
- "Reflecting on this year of learning I can see that I have journeyed a fair few miles, my thinking is certainly different albeit still striving to achieve a more scholarly approach, and my choice of words when facilitating my students has certainly changed as a result of this course."
- "Your comments for all six assignments have provided guidance and enabled me to develop a deeper understanding of the learning process and how my teaching does influence the learning of my students. It is exciting to think about how I will approach next semester in facilitating my new students."
- "All of the content has created some drive for me to change my units to give the students the best learning chance they can have."
- "I have really learned so much from this course. I feel much better prepared to carry out my teaching duties for my faculty, and am certain my new learning will benefit not just myself, but my students."
- "The way assessments were structured was impressive as they were scaffolded, and one could improve the work based on the experience with the previous assessment. It was evident that you spent a considerable amount of time and care to provide such comprehensive and constructive feedback."
- "I can design curriculum!"
- "Thank you for such a valuable learning experience. Even though I was highly challenged, I really grew throughout this unit."
How do I apply?
Complete the GCHE Application process on the ACU Admissions website.
Academic enquiries about the GCHE may be directed to the Course Co-ordinator via the dedicated course email address: GCHE.LTC@acu.edu.au.
Administrative enquiries may be directed to the course administration officer using the same email address, or by telephone: 02 9739 2018.
Page last updated: 2017-10-20
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/867850