Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (GCHE)
The Graduate Certificate in Higher Education is designed to help you to promote your career as a tertiary educator and to contribute directly to the further development of a culture of excellence in learning and teaching – particularly at ACU. Substantially revised at the end of 2015, the new and entirely online course supports you with the achievement of learning outcomes that are directly related to enhancing your capabilities in learning and teaching in Higher Education.
The course is work-integrated so that you undertake learning activities that are of direct relevance and benefit to you. Because the learning and assessment tasks relate directly to activities you undertake in your daily work, your study time will be more efficient and productive.
The sequence of units is designed to scaffold your learning towards an integrated, scholarly project.
In these ways, the course aims to model and illustrate good practice and to ensure your learning experience is transparently relevant and strategically beneficial.
Key features of the course include:
- alignment with the ACU Teaching Criteria and Standards Framework
- re-designed for enhanced relevance to established academics as well as new teaching staff
- a new unit Technology-enhanced Learning in Higher Education as an exciting opportunity for you to develop your knowledge and skills in this important area
- provides a foundation of research and scholarship in Higher Education, with a strong theoretical and scholarly base to promote your own scholarship and excellence in learning and teaching.
View the GCHE Course Brochure.
You will have a bachelor degree (or higher), hold an appointment within a tertiary education institution, and be employed in a role that directly involves teaching (i.e. a teaching-focused or teaching-research role). Full-time, part-time and sessional staff are equally welcome to apply. Some non-academics may also be eligible for admission: conditions apply.
In addition to the obvious benefits above, the GCHE:
- fosters an understanding and appreciation of Higher Education in the Catholic Intellectual Tradition and within the principles of Catholic Social Thought
- addresses values consistent with ACU’s Mission
- offers you opportunities for supported networking and collaboration with colleagues regardless of location.
How to apply
Complete the GCHE Application form on the ACU Admissions website.
Academic enquiries about the GCHE may be directed to the Course Co-ordinator via the dedicated course email address: GCHE.LTC@acu.edu.au
Administrative enquiries may be directed to the course administration officer using the same email address, or by telephone: 02 9739 2018.