The School of Science launched a new Bachelor of Science on the Brisbane, Melbourne and North Sydney campuses this year. Students will major in biology, chemistry or environment, with an environment specialisation also available on the North Sydney campus.
In conjunction with the Faculty of Education and Arts we also commenced a new double degree - a Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Teaching. In additional to the majors available in the Science program, both maths and psychology are offered as second teaching areas in this new program. Commencing numbers are modest, but both programs include shared units, as well as some units in common with the Bachelor of Biomedical Science.
A number of new continuing staff have joined the School of Science since the last newsletter:
- Ms Manal Hanna, has commenced on the Melbourne campus to support the team there on Tuesdays and Fridays. Manal has previous experience working at ACU having worked in the St Vincent’s Medical Centre.
- Dr Wendy Relf, a long time sessional staff member in the School joined the North Sydney staff in a continuing role. Wendy has extensive undergraduate teaching experience at several institutions and is currently the scientific editor for the Journal of Parasitology.
- Dr Daniel Broszczak joined the School on Brisbane. Daniel is a relatively recent PhD graduate from QUT, having undertaken his research with the Tissue Repair and Regeneration Program. Daniel’s teaching experience includes biochemistry, anatomy and physiology and molecular biology.
- Dr Phillip Parker, a chemist/biochemist recently commenced on the Melbourne campus. Phillip will teach both chemistry and biochemistry in 2017. Phillip has been long involved in the Nutrition program at Deakin, a great recruitment for us with the BNutritionSc coming online in 2018
2017 sees many of our long standing sessional staff return to us for another year and a couple of them step up into fixed term roles back filling secondments and delayed appointments for 2017.
New lab space
The School staff and students are enjoying some refreshed lab space in North Sydney and some new space in Melbourne. Our three large teaching spaces in North Sydney were fully refurbished over the summer break. We had a small celebratory gathering and glass of champagne together just prior to semester starting as a thank you to all those involved in the project. A new Chemistry lab was opened in Melbourne in the first week of semester and staff and students are enjoying this bright and airy space.
- ACU's Dr Ryan Timmins wins People's Choice Award for PhD ACU's Dr Ryan Timmins wins People's Choice Award for PhD
- ACU's Dirk Melton to help rebuild Canterbury Bulldogs ACU's Dirk Melton to help rebuild Canterbury Bulldogs
- Stroke nurses improving patient outcomes Stroke nurses improving patient outcomes
- International honour in nursing science International honour in nursing science
- School of Allied Health final year student conference School of Allied Health final year student conference
Page last updated: 2017-06-26
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1195660