Associate Dean (Research) Report
NHMRC Clinical Trials Workshop
The Office of the Associate Dean (Research) was fortunate enough to secure a number of places at the renown NH&MRC Masterclass. Much of the health and medical research undertaken at ACU relies on clinical trials. The NH&MRC Masterclass offered a number of ACU staff the opportunity to develop their clinical trials expertise which may result in a successful grant application and a highly competitive NH&MRC grant.
HDR Student Enrolments and Graduations
The Faculty of Health Sciences currently has 169 active HDR students in various stages of their degrees. We are also pleased to report that we have had 55 HDR students graduate this year to date. The Office of the ADR would like to congratulate all our HDR graduates on their achievements.
In October, 20 early-mid career researchers attended a 1-day Research Grants Writing Workshop in Sydney. Participant feedback was extremely positive and outcome oriented, including setting ‘next steps’ grant writing targets.
Evaluation of 15 Semester 1 HDR Student Trainingsessions showed low engagement but high satisfaction by those who attended. Supervisors also took advantage of training opportunities. The Faculty Learning and Teaching team is assisting with creation of a dedicated FHS Research LEO page as an alternate means of communicating and engaging HDR students.
Twenty early-mid career researchers ACU-wide applied to participate as a Mentee but only 4 senior researchers have nominated as Mentors. Interim feedback signals strong mutual benefits, with a formal revaluation to be undertaken in December. Renewed and alternate approaches will be employed in 2017 to engage more mentors.
Five Minute Research Pitch
The ACU rounds of the Five Minute Research Pitch (5RP) were conducted on the 18th of October on the North Sydney campus. 5RP is an excellent opportunity for Researchers to showcase their research to a national audience. The Faculty of Health Sciences had some very strong entrants with Dr David Opar (School of Exercise Science) taking out the runner-up prize at ACU with his presentation, Hamstrung, elucidates the importance of recognising individuals who are most at risk of sustaining hamstring injuries and best practice rehabilitation. Dr Opar’s research has enabled him to co-invent the “NordBord”; a field of measure of eccentric hamstring strength. David will be presenting at the National finals of the 5RP at Southern Cross University in November.
- ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge
- Psychology week at ACU Psychology week at ACU
- ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP
- ACU's Director of Nursing Research inducted as a Fellow of American Academy of Nursing ACU's Director of Nursing Research inducted as a Fellow of American Academy of Nursing
- NHRMC success for ACU nurse researchers NHRMC success for ACU nurse researchers
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/1118997