Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) Report
Changes to staff in the ADLT portfolio
Since our last report we have welcomed two new staff members:
Amy Zhou, our new PA/Project Officer in the ADLT office (replacing Kristie Nevill) commenced in September; and Annie Venville, Academic Coordinator, Professional Practice and Community Engagement, commenced in June.
Quality Assurance Plan
The Manager of Learning and Teaching has been leading the development of a Faculty Quality Assurance Plan. Following extensive consultation within Schools, this will be discussed at the next Learning and Teaching Standing Committee, and we hope will be endorsed for implementation in 2016.
A key strategic initiative has been to examine how our Faculty can lead the way in ensuring that our various curricula contain Indigenous perspectives. We are in the process of establishing a working group that will report to the Faculty Learning and Teaching Standing committee.
Learning for Life
Various Learning for Life projects have been piloted and will be implemented across the Faculty in 2016. These include:
- Peer Observation and Review
- Teaching Support Program
- Blended Learning program
- Scholarship of Learning and Teaching
Our Teamspace site
Our Teamspace site has been rejuvenated! While still under construction, we hope that it provides a more user-friendly source of information for you on a whole range of learning and teaching activities and projects. Please take a look and bookmark this site – it contains all sorts of useful information and will be continually updated.
We hope that we have supported you in your learning and teaching by offering workshops, in addition to those provided by LTC and Human Resources. This year, our office has conducted:
- LEO workshops (following the audit of LEO sites)
- Publishing from your Teaching; and Writing for Publication Masterclass
- FHS has also been a partner in the Transparent Pedagogies workshops, and we hope that these have been a useful series of workshops for you. Online resources for Transparent Pedagogies are currently being developed
FHS staff success – awards and grants
I would like to congratulate staff who have been recognised for awards and who have been successful in achieving grant success both at the National, University and Faculty level. We have had great success this year with FHS staff receiving Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT) citations, ACU citations and teaching development grants; Faculty citations and learning and teaching grants. Congratulations to all, and we look forward to continued successes in 2016!
Dissemination of initiatives in Learning and Teaching. This year, we have focused on ensuring that you hear about the great work that you and your colleagues are doing. Our strategies for dissemination include:
- Our E-Bulletin has been emailed to you every two months – please feel free to contact Amy Zhou if you wish to contribute to the next e-Bulletin.
- Seminar series – our lunchtime learning and teaching seminar series, run in both semesters are peer led presentations which have covered topics as diverse as Indigenous perspectives in the curriculum, peer review of teaching, simulation and flipped classrooms.
- Learning and Teaching Showcase – you will have received an invitation to participate in our Learning and Teaching Showcase, to be held at Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney campuses on 4th December. If you haven’t already registered, please make sure you do – this day will be a great celebration and sharing of the work that academics in the Faculty have been doing in the area of learning and teaching.
Finally, I would like to thank you for the work that you are doing to ensure that our students have an excellent learning and teaching experience. I look forward to continuing to work with you in 2016.
- Allied health initiatives showcased at final year student conference Allied health initiatives showcased at final year student conference
- Professor of Ageing acknowledged Professor of Ageing acknowledged
- ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge
- Psychology week at ACU Psychology week at ACU
- ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP
Page last updated: 2017-10-27
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/793420