Welcome to the School of Science
The School of Science formed on January 1 as part of the Academic Realignment arm of the Futures project and brought together staff from the former Schools of Arts and Sciences in NSW and Victoria and from the School of Nursing, Midwifery and Paramedicine in Queensland. The School comprises nineteen academic staff and eight professional staff.
The School operates across six ACU campuses and in semester 1, 2014 is delivering twenty one units to over four thousand students nationally. As part of this delivery the School runs in excess of 180 practical classes each week. The School hosts a three year Bachelor of Environmental Science from the North Sydney campus which has a strong focus on ecology, with students undertaking a number of environmental field trips in the third year of the program. Staff of the School provide service teaching in foundation biological sciences into the undergraduate programs for Applied Public Health, Exercise and Health Science, Exercise and Sports Science, Midwifery, Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Paramedicine, Physiotherapy, and Speech Pathology.
In 2015, the School will commence a Bachelor of Biomedical Science from the Brisbane, Melbourne and North Sydney campuses. The planned focus of this degree is preparation for work in the pharmaceutical and medical technology industries.
The School’s research interests reflect the broad profile of the School staff and include plant and wildlife ecology, aquatic toxicology, bioremediation, utilisation of industrial wastes, immunological mechanisms in healing and chronic diseases across the lifespan. Scholarship of learning and teaching with a particular focus on pedagogical approaches to science education inform the School’s offerings and are the content of a number of recent publications by School staff.
The School has research collaborations with the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation, the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation and the NSW Office of Environment and Heritage. Staff of the School provide consultancy services to the Sydney Olympic Park Authority and the Office of Gene Technology Regulator Gene Technology Ethics and Community Consultative Committee among others.
- Professor of Ageing acknowledged Professor of Ageing acknowledged
- ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge ACU paramedicine students awarded second prize in Ferno Australia Paramedic Simulation Challenge
- Psychology week at ACU Psychology week at ACU
- ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP ACU staff, students and alumni keeping riders and crew safe at the 2017 Phillip Island MotoGP
- ACU's Director of Nursing Research inducted as a Fellow of American Academy of Nursing ACU's Director of Nursing Research inducted as a Fellow of American Academy of Nursing
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/619187