The Office of General Counsel provides legal advice and services to the University and its staff on a broad range of legal issues including:
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements (eg. leases, licences, procurement contracts, consultancy and research agreements)
- Document execution
- Risk management
- Dispute resolution
- Employment law
- Intellectual property rights (eg. copyright and trade marks)
- Privacy, confidentiality and access to information
- Subpoenas and other court documents
- General legal advice
We may also engage external lawyers if we do not have the expertise or resources necessary to help you with a particular matter. Under the Delegations of Authority Policy and Register, the OGC manages the engagement of external lawyers on behalf of the University. All requests to engage external lawyers must be made through the OGC.
We cannot provide personal legal advice to University staff or students. However, one of the services listed below may be able to help you:
- Student legal, tax and advocacy services
- Australian Catholic University National Student Association
- National Tertiary Education Union
- Community Legal Centres
State and Territory Law Societies also provide legal referral services to the public, to help you find a law firm that is suitable for your needs.
Requesting our services
To request the OGC’s services, please complete one of the OGC Briefing Sheets below:
- General matters: OGC Briefing Sheet – general matters (docx, 153KB)
- Property and facility matters: OGC Briefing Sheet – property matters (pdf, 146KB)
and send it, along with copies of all relevant documents, to email@example.com
Your matter will be allocated to one of our lawyers for review. We will send you an email acknowledging your request and advising which lawyer will help you with your matter. Please provide as much information as possible with the Briefing Sheet, including copies of all relevant documents. This will help us to respond to your inquiry promptly.
We aim to respond to all inquiries within the requested time frame, although this is not always possible. If we are unable to meet your time frame or if your matter requires particular expertise that we do not have, we will contact you to discuss alternative options.
Subpoenas and other court documents
If your matter relates to a subpoena or other court documents, please contact the following person immediately: