Resources for learning and teaching award and citation applicants
There are some excellent resources available for those wishing to consider, plan and develop learning and teaching citation and award nominations. Some provide inspiration as successful nominees share their individual journeys and other resources provide practical advice.
Note: The 'ALTC' mentioned below was the predecessor of the Office for Learning and Teaching (OLT), the Federal body for awards and citations.
In the presentation at the HERDSA conference the Prime Minister's Award winner (2009) Professor Aziz talks about his own journey, including how he planned for the collection of evidence and the need for resilience when applying for a teaching award.
Another story is told by Robyn Power, University of Canberra who writes of preparing an ALTC teaching award, including the stage where she began to wonder if she should be nominating.
Preparing an application
The link below takes you to the power point presentation from Professor Geoff Crisp, RMIT, who provides advice on preparing a nomination for an award.
A couple of videos and a worksheet have been prepared for ACU award nominees. The first video gives an overview of the types of learning and teaching awards including citations available from OLT and ACU. The second video is designed to assist those nominees preparing the paperwork for an OLT or ACU citation. Finally there is a worksheet that provides an overview of matters to consider in preparing a nomination for an award.
Worksheet - The worksheet prepared for ACU and ALTC citations and awards should be worked through as a preparation for writing the nomination.
Think about ways of writing an effective nomination
This power point presentation by Dr Judy Maxwell provides some useful advice on the writing style. This information would be particularly useful for those unfamiliar with the style of writing for award nominations.
Examples of nominations
Some ACU staff have kindly agreed to make their applications available as exemplars.
- Ms Laurine Hurley (PDF File, 38.0 KB)
- Dr Carolyn Broadbent (MS Word Document, 90.5 KB)
- Ms Wendy Moran (MS Word Document, 97.0 KB)
- Prof Peter Camilleri (MS Word Document, 57.0 KB)
- Dr Judith Mulholland (MS Word Document, 51.5 KB)
- Dr Robert Compton (MS Word Document, 50.0 KB)
- Dr Toni Noble (MS Word Document, 115.5 KB)
- Ms Maya Cranitch (MS Word Document, 56.5 KB)
- Dr Kathy Robinson (MS Word Document, 59.5 KB)
- Ms Jacqueline Guy (MS Word Document, 71.5 KB)
- Mr Chris Sheargold (MS Word Document, 46.5 KB)
- Dr Caroline Smith and Dr Lynette Carter (MS Word Document, 54.5 KB)
- Dr Gill Terrett (MS Word Document, 46.5 KB)
However, please be aware that your individual 'story' will make all applications different!