ACU is becoming smoke-free, and we need your support to increase the University community’s awareness of the changes to smoking restrictions at all ACU campuses.
Everyone can support ACU being smoke-free by:
- Respectfully and politely reminding people that ACU is “smoke-free”, which means that smoking is not permitted anywhere on campus, and request the smoker to put out the cigarette safely or move off campus to finish smoking.
- In the case of the Sydney campuses (Strathfield and North Sydney), advising the smoker to move to the designated smoking area or off campus if they wish to continue smoking.
- Informing smokers of the resources and support available to people wishing to reduce or quit smoking at www.acu.edu.au/smokefree.
Become a smoke-free ambassador
Smoke-Free Ambassadors are staff and student volunteers who support ACU’s smoke-free endeavours by increasing awareness of smoking restrictions and promoting a smoke-free environment.
Ambassadors provide positive, respectful and friendly messages to smokers that ACU is smoke-free.
Responsibilities of Smoke-Free Ambassadors
- Approaching people who are smoking on campus and informing them that ACU is smoke-free, which means that smoking is not permitted anywhere on campus (with the exception of the Sydney campuses which have temporary designated smoking areas).
- Handing out “smoke-free” postcards that reinforce the smoke-free message and provide the webpage for further information.
- Providing information about support and resources to smokers who are interested in managing or quitting smoking.
- Promoting the smoke-free policy at key University events such as Orientation and Open Day.
- Reporting on smoking “hot spots” and issues arising from implementing a smoke-free policy.
Ambassadors will be provided with a one hour briefing session to increase their knowledge of the ACU Tobacco-Free policy and increase their confidence in communicating the "smoke-free" message.
If you are interested in becoming a Smoke-Free Ambassador email email@example.com.