Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment
Through pursuing the goals of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples Employment Strategy 2015-2017, ACU is committed to being a leading-practice employer that provides a culturally inclusive space for staff. ACU supports employment opportunities by encouraging both mainstream and targeted positions.
A targeted position is a position with specific selection criteria that signify that the role has a strong involvement in issues relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. Typically, these roles will involve direct interaction with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students, staff and communities.
In addition to offering mainstream and targeted employment opportunities, ACU successfully uses employment options such as traineeships and cadetships to provide options to create entry-level opportunities.
All of our employment opportunities can be found at Careers at ACU.
To date, ACU has Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff in diverse careers such as:
Managers can register to attend Hiring to Make a Change, a one-hour videoconference on 30 March or 9 May and explore the recruitment options available that can help to attract Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates.
There is also a recruiting guide which provides handy information on providing support and a culturally safe workplace for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff.
At all levels of employment the Manager, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment provides support structures to assist induction, career development and ongoing staff engagement, which includes:
- Assisting to develop position descriptions for targeted and or Identified roles
- Offering specialised induction for manager or supervisor and staff member
- Undertaking ongoing support for manager or supervisor and staff member
- Assisting staff in seeking mentoring support or a workplace buddy
- Exploring suitable and appropriate career development opportunities including additional entitlement to study leave
- Facilitating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff quarterly network meetings to share information and to learn from each other
- Tailored Cultural Awareness Workshops