Can I show commercial DVDs/videos or play CDs in my Blackboard unit?
For Music CDs:
- copy/ies of music are within the repertoire of the University’s Music licence (please check with the Copyright Officer)
- copy/ies are labelled with the following details:
- the title of each musical work
- the name of each composer, lyricist and arranger of the musical work; and
- if the recording contains an ARIA sound recording, the artist/group name and the record company label.
- copy/ies are from legitimate sources (i.e. legally purchased CDs but do not include legally downloaded music)
- the music is streamed (contact ACUonline project officers for technical assistance), and a Copyright warning notice displayed/included: “This recording has been made by Australian Catholic University under the express terms of an educational licence between it, ARIA, AMCOS, APRA and PPCA and only be used as authorised by Australian Catholic University pursuant to the terms of that licence”.
For commercial DVDs/videos:
- While there are no restrictions to playing commercial videos/DVDs in class, they cannot be streamed to students via BlackBoard unless you have permission from the copyright owner.
- The streaming of commercial DVDs (without permission of the copyright owner) during a live videoconference class is allowed. If the live videoconference is recorded, the portion that contains the streamed DVD must be removed prior to placing the recording online in BlackBoard.