The Brisbane Campus (McAuley at Banyo) commenced in 2003, replacing the former Brisbane Campus at Mitchelton. The 40-hectare site was formerly the Pius XII Provincial Seminary, with a history extending back to 1863.
Formed in 1955 as McAuley College by the Sisters of Mercy for the preparation of Sisters of Mercy to teach in Catholic schools, the college soon extended its mission to include members of other religious orders. This mission was further extended in 1973 when lay-students were admitted to the college.
Government recognition through State Government accreditation of courses, national registration of awards and Federal funding as a non-government teachers' college were significant developments in McAuley College's establishment as a Catholic institute of higher education in Queensland.
At the end of 1990, the Council of McAuley College formally handed responsibility for the college and its operations to ACU.