Interlibrary Loans and Document Delivery Policy
This policy covers document supply, document delivery and interlibrary loan services (ILLs). It does not distinguish between them. In its interlending and document delivery services ACU Library operates in accordance with the Australian Interlibrary Resource Sharing (ILRS) Code (2011). The Code specifies principles for sharing resources, defines levels of service (including turnaround time and delivery mode) and recommends prices for supply and delivery.
In supplying items to requesting libraries ACU undertakes to provide service levels up to Express level, as specified in the service level standards of the ILRS Code.
When it supplies interlibrary loans ACU Library normally charges the current ILRS recommended prices for both supply and delivery, except where an interlibrary loan or resource-sharing agreement has been established.
Details of the ACU Library's policies for lending items are contained in the National Library of Australia's Interlibrary Resource Sharing Directory which is available on the Web at: http://www.alia.org.au/interlibrary.lending/ilrs.code.html
The ACU Library observes Australian copyright law and our contractual obligations.
The following members of the ACU community are eligible for library –mediated interlibrary loan and document delivery services through the Interlibrary Loan Unit:
- Academic staff - continuing academic staff for the purposes of teaching and research
- Other academic staff - to support the duties they are employed to undertake e.g. develop or teach a unit
- General/Professional staff – for purposes related to their university positions
- Higher Degree students - Postgraduate degree students
- Honours students
ACU Library does not provide interlibrary loan services to support the information needs of ACU staff who are enrolled as students in other institutions. In this instance, interlibrary loans are the responsibility of the enrolling institution.
Anyone with any overdue item or outstanding fines of $10 or more is not eligible.
Types of materials available through Inter Library and Document Delivery
The ILL Unit commonly sources the following types of resources but service is dependent on the non-ACU lending library.
- Journal articles
- Book chapters
- Conference papers
- Audiovisual resources
Titles held in the collection of ACU Library will not be obtained on interlibrary loan. This includes eBooks.
Level of Service Provided
ACU Library normally uses the Core (standard) service level when requesting interlibrary loans. Requests may be made at higher service levels (Express or Rush) to obtain urgently required interlibrary loans at the discretion of the ILL unit.
Number of Loans
Eligible patrons may have 30 Active ILL requests at any time
Choice of Supplier and Format
The ILL Unit determines the supplier and format of a loan where there is a choice.
Document delivery and loans between the campus libraries of ACU are not considered interlibrary loans. The conditions under which these are provided are governed by the Library's Loans Policy http://library.acu.edu.au/library_policies
Responsibility for Payment
- The costs of library-mediated interlibrary loans and library-mediated use of document supply service are borne by the Library EXCEPT when the item requested is for a program or research that receives special funding.
- Where the item requested is for a program or research which has received special funding from within or outside ACU, library staff will process the loan, but all costs associated with it are charged to the relevant (non-library) fund.
- Where a non-library staff member or student initiates a request with a supplier and directly receives a loan or document (makes a non-library mediated request), the requester is responsible for any associated costs, not the Library. In these situations the Library's role is restricted to informing clients about the range of document supply services available and educating them in how these can be accessed.
Attribution of payments
Where the ACU Library is responsible for payment of charges associated with interlibrary loans, charges will be met from the Library’s ILL budget.
UNILINC Inter Library Loan Agreement
ACU Library is a member of the UNILINC Inter Library Loan agreement. Under the terms of this agreement members provide Core service interlibrary loans to other members without applying charges. For loans at higher levels between members only the relevant ILRS levy and any additional delivery fee are applied.
Requests for Theses
A request for a thesis will be treated either as a purchase for the collection or as a request for a personal copy http://library.acu.edu.au/library_policies/library/reqests_for_theses
Requests for copies of ACU-owned theses can be arranged – conditions apply.
All queries for a thesis purchase will need to be assessed for availability or conditional requirements.
Please direct your purchase query to ILL Coordinator, Australian Catholic University on 07 3623 7407 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org
- $71.50; Urgent – Rush $110.00
- CD-ROM, unbound photocopy
- 4-6 weeks; Urgent, 2-4 weeks, post via Express Post/Courier
- by Invoice
- by phone (07 3623 7407) or fax (07 3623 7268) using a credit card
- Libraries which use Libraries Australia Document Delivery Payments Scheme (LADD) are able to order a thesis copy via LADD as a “copy” request rather than a “loan”. Payment for this purchase will be handled via LADD Payment Invoice Reports, sent bi-monthly to participating libraries.
- Applies to: All Staff and Students
- Owner: Director, Libraries
- Having trouble finding up-to-date policies and procedures?