- Application of Policy
- Timing and Process
- Frequency of Review
- Policy Review
- Further Assistance
Australian Catholic University recognises the need for performance excellence to be successful in all of its activities and operations. In the context of its Mission, strategic goals and the Classification Standards for Professional Staff and to enhance excellence in performance, the University has a Performance Review and Planning Policy.
To achieve performance excellence, the University needs to constructively nurture and enhance performance, and have mechanisms to recognise performance excellence and to manage performance improvement.
The Performance Review and Planning process provides a framework for identifying, evaluating and developing performance that assists staff to meet individual professional and work goals as well as their collective work area and organisational goals.
2. Application of Policy
The Performance Review and Planning Policy applies to all professional staff who are employed on a continuing or fixed-term basis for a period greater than 6 months.
The Performance Review and Planning process is designed to assist staff to develop so as to contribute to the quality of their working life and career, and to align their work with the strategic objectives of the University and Organisational Unit thus enhancing performance at all levels and assisting the University’s continued success of activities and operations.
The Performance Review and Planning process is an important process to plan, monitor, evaluate, develop and affirm performance excellence to ensure that:
- the University’s Mission is upheld, strategic goals are achieved, activities and operations are enhanced, and effective customer service, including quality teaching and student support, are delivered;
- staff have a clear and agreed sense of their work, role and individual performance objectives and how these fit within the organisational objectives and the overall planning framework of the University;
- a process is in place for monitoring reviewing and nurturing the achievements of individual staff and their objectives in the organisational context, and for providing feedback and evaluation on performance;
- a clear focus is placed on developmental strategies in support of the staff member’s performance and career aspirations; and
- The University’s Capability Development Framework (CDF) is utilised to assess and develop the effectiveness and capacity of all staff.
The Performance Review and Planning process provides the staff member and their supervisor the opportunity to:
- determine work priorities and performance expectations over the next annual review period;
- affirm the staff member’s contributions to the University;
- discuss the staff member’s plans for taking annual, long service and other leave;
- provide feedback in relation to individual performance, also with reference to work area and organisational goals;
- determine if the staff member is eligible for incremental advancement;
- identify if the staff member’s performance may warrant reward and/or recognition;
- discuss and identify assistance and support that will be provided to improve performance where performance is assessed as requiring improvement;
- identify the support that will be provided for professional and career development;
- discuss career aspirations and/or pre-retirement arrangements;
- discuss knowledge, skills and competencies development to support career and professional development; and
- discuss, as appropriate, any personal/work issues that may impact on work performance.
4. Timing and Process
The Annual Planning and Review Cycle is normally twelve months in duration.
The process is described in detail in the Annual Performance Review and Planning Conversation Guide for Professional Staff Members (PDF File, 290.8 KB) and the Annual Performance Review and Planning Conversation Guide for Supervisors (PDF File, 306.0 KB).
4.1 New Professional Staff who are eligible to participate in the PRP should have their first Annual Performance Plan completed within 6 months of commencement at ACU.
4.2 During the performance planning year, the staff member may maintain a Performance Portfolio that reflects their achievements, consistent with their career goals and annual performance objectives.
4.3 Each year the staff member and the nominated supervisor meet to:
- discuss, review and assess the staff member’s achievements against the agreed performance objectives in the context of the staff member’s position description, professional development plan, and progress towards career goals,
- affirm contributions to the University,
- establish the agreed Annual Performance Plan that is aligned with the CDF competencies for the role and both Organisational Unit and Strategic Goals of the University. and,
- establish a professional and career development plan which records the staff member’s aspirations and activities to support both professional and career development
4.4 The nominated supervisor may be assisted by the Assistant Supervisor in setting performance objectives and providing feedback on performance achievements.
4.5 The completed Performance Review and Planning form is signed by the nominated supervisor/assistant supervisor and the staff member. The completed form is sent to Human Resources1for recording. Documentation arising from the discussions will be retained by the staff member and the nominated supervisor to support performance and development discussions during the next review period.
4.6 As a result of the Performance Review and Planning process, an action to update the position description may occur.
4.7 Discussions will be confidential to the staff member and the nominated supervisor and the Executive Team Member, who will be sent the completed Performance Review and Plan. A staff member may share relevant aspects of the Performance Review and Plan in support of other University processes.
4.8 The Performance Review and Planning Program Process will be informed as applicable by the University’s Equal Opportunity Policy, and will take account of the special needs of individual staff arising from different career histories.
1 The completed form should be sent to HR at North Sydney via email to HR@acu.edu.au, or by mail to HR Advisory Service, PO Box 968, North Sydney, NSW 2060.
5. Frequency of Review
Staff (except casual staff members and those on contracts of less than 6 months) are to be reviewed annually under this Policy. The Performance Review and Planning process for Professional Staff normally occurs in the first half of each year.
In addition to the formal annual process, regular informal discussions will occur between professional staff and their nominated supervisor/assistant supervisor about matters relating to their work and workplace. Such informal meetings may be initiated at the request of the staff member and/or the nominated supervisor.
6. Policy Review
The University may make changes to this Policy and Procedures from time to time to improve the effectiveness of their operation. In this regard, any staff member who wishes to make any comments about this Policy and Procedures may forward their suggestions to the Director, Human Resources.
7. Further Assistance
Any staff member who requires assistance in understanding this Policy and Procedures should first consult their nominated supervisor who is responsible for the implementation and operation of these arrangements in their work area. If further advice is needed, the staff member should contact the Human Resources Consultant responsible for their campus.
- Performance Review and Planning Form for Professional Staff (Form, MS Word Document, 91.3 KB)
- Performance Review and Planning Form for Senior Staff (Form, MS Word Document, 81.1 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Staff (Guidelines, PDF File, 290.8 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Supervisors (Guidelines, PDF File, 306.0 KB)
- Conversation Guide for Staff Appendices - SMART objectives, Career Planning Tool (Information, MS Word Document, 1.1 MB)
- Conversation Guide for Supervisors Appendices - SMART objectives, Career Planning Tool, Career Coaching Tool (Information, MS Word Document, 1.0 MB)
- Performance Review and Planning for Professional Staff Policy (Policy, PDF File, 101.9 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Date of Last Revision||31/10/2016|
|Effective Date of Last Revision||01/01/2018|
|Date of Policy Review *||31/01/2020|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
Classification Standards for Academic and Professional Staff
Managing Performance Policy
Probation for Professional Staff Policy
Professional Development Policy for Professional Staff Policy
Page last updated: 2018-02-01
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/policy/170967