The provision of first aid is an essential service, which is part of ACU's integrated work health and safety management system, provided to any persons who are injured or fall in the learning environment of ACU Campuses, and associated University approved off-campus activities.
Communicates the University's commitment to providing a consistent and effective first aid response in all ACU's working and learning environments.
The policy applies to all staff members, students, visitors, volunteers and contractors, within the 'workplace' or participating in University-related activities.
4. Policy Statement
The University provides an effective first aid response to help maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for staff, students, visitors, volunteers and contractors.
- allocates appropriate resources, including equipment, to provide effective first aid responses which reduce, whenever possible, the severity of the injury/illness;
- applies risk management principles to identify any gaps in first aid provisions and to maintain appropriate numbers of First Aid Officers;
- uses qualified First Aid Officers to respond promptly to those people that are injured or require first aid;
- ensures that staff members, students, visitors, volunteers and contractors are aware of how and where to obtain first aid assistance;
- effectively records incidents and maintains statistics on injuries and illnesses; and
- investigates incidents and first aid responses, so that corrective actions can be applied to continuously improve first aid responses and to reduce the risk of injury.
5. Policy Review
The University may make changes to this policy from time to time. Any staff member or student who wishes to provide feedback about this policy should forward their suggestions to Human Resources.
6. Further Assistance
Any staff member who requires assistance in understanding this policy should consult their Nominated Supervisor or Manager. If additional advice is required, contact Human Resources, HR@acu.edu.au or extension 4222.
- First Aid Policy (Policy, PDF File, 170.8 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Governing Authority||Chief Operating Officer|
|Responsible Officer||Director, Human Resources|
|Date of Last Revision||22/12/2016|
|Date of Policy Review *||31/03/2021|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
ACU WHS & W Policy
ACU First Aid Procedure
ACU Risk Management Form for Practical Activities/ Research
ACU Field Safety Policy
Safe Zone Application riskware
First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practise
The Department of Health Infection Control Guidelines
Page last updated: 2017-07-05
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/policy/798342