1. Policy Statement
This policy ensures consistency in the delivery of coursework programs delivered at multiple locations across ACU and/or in multiple study modes.
2. Background Information
Australian Catholic University, is obliged to ensure that the standards and outcomes of its academic courses offered at different locations and in different modes are equivalent, especially relating to comparable requirements of and support for students during their studies, student progress, student achievements and graduate outcomes.
3. Policy Scope
This policy applies to all courses and units:
- offered from more than one location; and/or
- offered in more than one study mode;
4. Courses offered from multiple locations and/or in multiple study Modes
4.1 A course offered from multiple locations and/or in multiple study modes must havethe same course title and lead to the same award;
- the same course title and lead to the same award;
- equivalent course entry requirements in accordance with the Admissions Policy and Admissions Rules;
- equivalent credit transfer arrangements in accordance with the RPL Policy;
- equivalent course rules and equivalent length for all offerings of the course;
- identical learning outcomes.
5. Permissible variations in course delivery across multiple locations and/or in multiple study modes
5.1 Where there is a demonstrated need for variation in the range of major or minor sequences or specialisations within a course, for example to meet national/State/Territory accreditation/regulatory requirements, approval must be sought in advance from Academic Board.
5.2 The sequencing of particular units may be varied across offerings of the course, provided that they are consistent with pre-requisite requirements and do not restrict student academic progression.
5.3 Not all elective units in any particular course are required to be offered at each location or in each mode.
5.4 All such permissible course variations will be clearly articulated in the Course Enrolment Guide, course promotional materials and other information regarding the course.
6. Units offered from more than one location and/or in more than one study mode
Where a unit is in the one study period offered at more than one location and/or in more than one study mode:
- the unit code will be identical;
- the extended unit outline, which will contain information common to all modes of offering;
- in any given mode, the extended unit outline will also be augmented with information specific to that mode of offering;
- variations of case studies, texts, references and other learning resources are permitted with the approval of the course implementation committee;
- the unit will have comparable assessment tasks so as to ensure equivalence across all offerings.
7. Course implementation committees
7.1 The Executive Dean of the relevant Faculty will establish Course Implementation Committees for courses offered at more than one location. The committee will include representation from Schools involved in offering the course. The chair of the committee will be appointed by the Executive Dean.
7.2 Where a course is jointly offered by two or more Faculties, the Course Implementation Committee will contain representation from the relevant Schools in each of those Faculties. The chair of a joint Course Implementation Committee will be appointed following consultation between the relevant Executive Deans.
7.3 A Course Implementation Committee will:
- oversee the operation of the course across all locations and study modes as approved by Academic Board;
- recommend variations in offerings of the course, outside the scope of this policy, to the relevant Faculty Board and via the ACU Course Approval, Amendment and Review processes as required;
- ensure that unit evaluation is conducted consistent with the ACU Policy on the Evaluation of Learning and Teaching;
- report to the Faculty Board through the relevant Faculty Learning and Teaching Committee on the operation of the course and implementation of this policy, including the performance of students in the course and the extent to which cross-location/ study mode oversight was implemented and consistency achieved.
- Policy on Academic Programs offered across Multiple Locations and/or in Multiple Study Modes (Policy, PDF File, 195.6 KB)
|Policy applies to||
|Approval Authority||Academic Board|
|Governing Authority||Academic Board|
|Responsible Officer||Chair, Academic Board|
|Date of Last Revision||07/05/2014|
|Date of Policy Review *||01/12/2017|
* Unless otherwise indicated, this policy will still apply beyond the review date.
Related Policies, Procedures, Guidelines and Local Protocols
Admissions Policy and Admissions Rules
Policy on Course Approval, Amendment and Review
Policy on Evaluation of Learning and Teaching
Policy on Recognition of Prior Learning
Page last updated: 2017-06-28
Short url: http://www.acu.edu.au/policy/173430