Program information

There are five study abroad and exchange programs at ACU:

  1. Exchange
  2. Study Abroad
  3. Study Abroad + Internship
  4. Study Abroad + Community Engagement
  5. ACU July School

Exchange students come from institutions that have a recognised partnership with ACU.

Study Abroad students can come through either established study abroad partners of non-affiliated institutions.

The ACU July school is an intensive short term program for students wishing to undertake a two week course.

Students in all five programs must speak to their home universities to arrange a transfer of credit for the subjects they study at ACU.

Entry requirements
Semester dates
Application deadlines
Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
Student visas


Exchange students from partner institutions will pay tuition fees at their home institution. They do not pay tuition fees to ACU.

Study Abroad students pay the following tuition fees directly to ACU

2017 Study Abroad tuition fee:

AUD$9,450       per semester

AUD$18,900     per year

Tuition fees cover the cost of academic study at ACU. They do  not include  the cost  of textbooks, transport and other program costs.

Entry requirements

Students from all countries are welcome to apply to the ACU Study Abroad Program. To be accepted into the program you must meet the following criteria:

Academic requirements:

Completion of one full year of study at university level with satisfactory grades.

English language requirements:

Students who have not successfully completed at least one full-time year of study in secondary or higher education where the medium of study was English must provide the following evidence of English proficiency:

For undergraduate study:

  • IELTS: 6.0; 6.0 for Writing and Speaking; 5.5 for Reading and Listening
  • TOEFL IBT: 79; 22 for Writing
  • TOEFL PBT: 550; 59 for Writing
  • TOEFL CBT: 213; 25 for Writing
  • ACU English Language Test: C

For postgraduate study:

  • IELTS: 6.5; 6.0 in all sections
  • TOEFL IBT: 90; 25 for Writing
  • TOEFL PBT: 577; 62 for Writing
  • TOEFL CBT: 233; 26 for Writing
  • ACU English Language Test: B

Please note: students wishing to take units within the Law, Nursing and Education programs may be required to have a higher level of English proficiency.

2017 semester dates

Semester 1 2017

International Orientation: February 13

Classes Start: February 27

End of Exam Period: June 25

Semester 2 2017

International Orientation: July 24

Classes Start: July 31

End of Exam Period: November 26

Application deadlines

Semester 1: November 15

Semester 2: May 15

^ Back to top

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Overseas Student Health Cover  (OSHC) is a compulsory health insurance plan designed to minimise your health care costs when you study in Australia.

Why do I need OSHC?

It is an Australian government requirement that you purchase Overseas Student Health Cover  (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa. You must purchase your OSHC when you pay your first semester tuition fees.

What does my OSHC cover?

If you need to go to the doctor or to a hospital while you are in Australia, OSHC will cover 85% of the base rate you are required to pay. If doctors charge more than the base rate, you must pay the additional costs.

OSHC does not cover pre-existing conditions.

See the Department of Immigration and Border Protection's page on health insurance for more information.

OSHC exemptions

You do not need OSHC if you are:

  • a Norwegian student covered by the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
  • a Swedish student covered by the National Board of Student Aid or by Kammarkollegiet
  • a Belgian student covered under the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement with Australia.

The University's preferred OSHC provider is Allianz

Student visas

All international students must have a valid student visa for the duration of their studies. You must apply for your student visas prior to arriving in Australia.

How do I apply for my visa?

Once you have been accepted at ACU and have paid your fees, you will receive a Confirmation of Enrolment document that you can use to apply for your student visa.

For more information on how to apply for a student visa, please contact your nearest Consulate Australian Embassy or High Commission.

^ Back to top