Working in Australia

International students are permitted to work in Australia. However, the following conditions apply:

  • You cannot commence work until your course start date has passed. Your course start date is the first day of your first semester at ACU, not the start date of your CoE.
  • You may only work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during semester. However, during official university vacation periods there is no limit to the number of hours you can work.
  • If you have come to Australia with your spouse, s/he may also be allowed to work. You must confirm this with DIBP prior to your spouse starting work in Australia.
  • You must obtain an Australian Tax File Number (TFN) prior to commencing work in Australia.
  • Once you have been in Australia for six months, you must pay tax on any money you earn.

Finding a job

The ACU Career Development Service offers support to help students with resumes and interview skills.  ACU also offers a Student Jobs on Campus program.

You can look for part-time jobs on popular job websites such as:

Obtaining a Tax File Number

Before you start working in Australia, you must register for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You will be asked to provide your TFN to your employer prior to starting work. If you do not provide your TFN, you will be taxed at a higher rate.

Paying tax in Australia

Once you have been in Australia for more than six months, you must submit a Withholding Declaration form to your employer so that you can pay tax on any money you earn.

At the end of each financial year (June 30), you will receive a Payment Summary from your employer. You must use this document to lodge an annual tax return with the ATO.

More information